BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

3rd Center Stop brake light is not working. I replaced the…

Customer Question
3rd Center Stop brake...

3rd Center Stop brake light is not working. I replaced the light and brake switch above the brake petal. Still no luck what could be the problem?i can not locate a related fuse. Help thanks

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the brake fluid? How's the level and when was it last changed?

Brake fluid is good. I speaking about an electrical issue.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

2007 BMW X5

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your X5 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I am. 3rd Center Stop brake light is not working. I replaced the light and brake switch above the brake petal

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No that’s basically it. Thanks

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: BMW
I also test the old light and new light with wires directly off the battery and they both work. So I’m returning the new one I just purchased. Where is the fuse for the top Center LEDBrake light ??
3/9/2018
BMW Mechanic: David Craig, Auto Mechanic replied 4 months ago
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** I'll be more than happy to assist you, Please allow me a few minutes to review your information. Thank you.

Ok I’m waiting

there isnt a fuse for the third brake light. unplug the trailer module on the right side of the rear compartment and see if it works

Ok I’m not at the vehicle until this afternoon ... any other ideas / options to try or look at until I get there ?? How long will you be available today ?

Ill be on all day. the voltage generates from the footwell module on the left side footwell

Wht is that module? I’ve seen it when I removed the kick panel... I was looking for a possible bad ground... I also realize the switch is a haul effect switch... is there anything that maybe missing from the brake arm to activate it, when pressing on the brake? It’s just a small metal plate that’s moves close and away from the switch when pressing and releasing the brake petal.

everything you always wanted to know about the module

theres more, just so you understand how it works

if the brake lights in the tail light assemblies are working then nothing is wrong with the switch

Ok... if I pull the trailer module and it doesn’t fix it. What next?
Where is the trailer mod connector located exactly again please... can u send a pic ?

standby

trailer module

It has no trailer hitch. What could it be? The control module?

it doesnt need a hitch to still have the module, did you locate it or does it not have one?

I couldn’t locate it

then I would suspect the footwell module for sure

What is the footwell module?

hows it going?

Not fixed. It must be the foot week module. Can I try one from a salvage yard? Is it swappable with out programming?

it needs to be programmed if new. I'm not sure it does if already in a vehicle. give it a shot

hows it going?

Hvnt got a used replacement to try yet. I’ll let you wht happens when I do the swap.

ok