BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

I have a 2002 mini and the clutch cylinder failed. I

Customer Question
I have a 2002...

I have a 2002 mini cooper and the clutch slave cylinder failed. I replaced it and the master cylinder, bled the system with a power bleeder and I still have no clutch.

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the clutch? Has it been slipping or sticking?

About 20,000. Nope re sticking or slipping.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your MINI yourself? What have you tried so far?

I replaced the clutch slave cylinder and the master cylinder.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Thats it

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: BMW
3/9/2018
BMW Mechanic: Danny, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 month ago
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician
A lot of times even using the power bleeder you can't really bleed these out the best way to do it is to pump the pedal a lot with your hand and then release the bleeder screw and push the pedal to the floor with the bleeder screw open, then close the bleeder screw and repeat.I would be suspicious that the clutch hasn't failed, it's pretty uncommon for the clutch slave cylinders to fail in European cars, very often when they fail it's because they've over extended due to a failed pressure plate.So bleed it using a combination of pumping with your hand, then opening the screw and pushing the pedal to the floor with the screw open. And also pump it with your hand and then leave it on the floor and open the bleeder screw, you should be able to get a partial panel and where you can get a pedal enough to pump it and have the pedal return halfway leave it up halfway open the bleeder screw and let the clutch spring push the pedal the rest away the floor and then close it again.You may want to take a inspection camera and sneak it into the bellhousing and look at the clutch. If you can't get any pedal pressure using the methods of described, then you might want to separate the engine and transmission take a look at the clutch.If I've answered your question to your satisfaction please remember to hit accept next to my name as that's the only way the site compensates me for my time. You will still be able to ask follow up questions after hitting accept.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Im no expert but i dont think the clutch has failed because when i lost pedal, i was able to get the car home without using the clutch
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What else could it be?
Just because the clutch is not slipping doesn't mean that the pressure plate hasn't failed it's possible for the springs to fail in a way that the clutch stays engaged all the time.I'm not necessarily saying it has failed, I would bleed it as I described, it can take hrs to bleed these, but power bleeders are generally unsuccessful. Make sure your brake fluid is filled to the top of the reservoir as you bleed it, the clutch line is near the top of the container, it can cause you to not be able to get it bled.
Danny
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician