BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

Much! 2006 x5 4.4. I've taken to a few places for repairs…

2006 x5 4.4 Mechanic's...

2006 x5 4.4

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your X5 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I've taken to a few places for repairs including the dealership, but I was trying a few things myself. I have a P024 camshaft timing sensor warning and misfires on cylinder 1-4. I talked with the techs at 6ya but their advice was incorrect. They told me to quickly change the camshaft sensor in the front of the engine, but my engine doesn't have them. It's the N62 with vanos sensors.

Mechanic's Assistant: Which particular sensor are you asking about? And have any trouble codes been triggered?

P0024, P0300, 301,302,303, 304.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

At startup it's running very rough about 10 seconds after startup. The bmw dealer told me it had vanos system faults. They said wiring was ok to them. They said they swapped out the intake and exhaust sensor and the faults were still there. They said they would have to open up the engine and that would cost $1000 just to look inside.

3/9/2018
BMWDoc
BMWDoc, Independent BMW shop owner

Ok, so I just read through your question and have a couple of questions back to you before I can make recommendations

1) How many miles on your vehicle?

2) What kind of scan tool is being used to pull fault codes?

3) Are you going to attempt a repair yourself, if it's extensive?

It has 200,000 miles on it. I used a Foxwell NT201 CAN OBDII & EOBD Code Reader. I can only do minor repairs. I've changed the spark plugs and coils in the past and things like that.

Ok, got it. So we've definitely got quite a bit of experience with these faults, but often don't repair them due to cost of repair vs. vehicle value. I'm requesting a "please don't shoot the messenger" situation here, as I need to be accurate and to the point.

The likely issue is a broken timing chain component. It's pretty common on the N62 engines, and I'm frankly surprised that it took this long to happen to yours. It's a VERY involved repair, with about a 30 hour flat rate time attached to it. It requires BMW special tools to do properly, and parts costs are quite high also. I can certainly post work steps if you'd like. Estimated cost of repairs at a dealer could easily go $5k+.

Please let me know if I can offer further information

I appreciate the expert advice! That’s only one problem the engine has. It has a bad DSC sensor, a valley pan gasket leak, and oil leak, and some electrical issues. I think it’s time to traded in and learn from the experience.

Unfortunately, I think that's likely the best course of action. These cars don't get any less needy or less expensive to deal with as time and miles rack up. And yes, the fluid leaks can be prohibitively expensive to deal with as well. Even doing valve cover gaskets on an N62 in that vehicle is a horrible job.

BMWDoc
BMWDoc, Independent BMW shop owner