BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

I have a 2000 528i .The car works perfectly but if it RAINS…

Customer Question
Second opinion] I have...

Second opinion] I have a 2000 528i .The car works perfectly but if it RAINS or if you go through a car wash IT WILL STALL! .the car will not start until the engine drys . 2 mechanics have tried to solve this problem but have failed but have still cost me over $700..

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

They look ok.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 528i yourself? What have you tried so far?

Certified BMW mechs.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

NO this is a major problem

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: BMW
3/8/2018
BMW Mechanic: BMWDoc, Independent BMW shop owner replied 1 month ago
BMWDoc
BMWDoc, Independent BMW shop owner

I'll need a few pieces of information before I can offer suggestions:

1) VIN

2) Fault codes that were stored

3) what parts have been replaced?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
VIN # WBADM6342YGU08569.....Fault codes??? none I guess.. No parts have been replaced thus far..
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
already paid yesterday with my card.

Ok, you mention that you've already spent $700 on this at two shops, but they haven't replaced anything?

When I ask about fault codes, I'm assuming that your check engine or service engine soon light is on. That would mean that there are engine fault codes stored in the engine computer. In every case where engine management is in question, this is the first thing that's done, is to retrieve the fault codes to get an indication of failure. Then possibly moving onto other detailed tests, depending on the particular faults stored.

And yes, you paid a deposit into the system yesterday, but you're not obligated to anything unless you're happy with the service provided. No worries, I'll stick with this until we reach a point where we have some good hard ideas of what's wrong with your BMW.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No thanks on the $26..I need to see that this is not just an internet scam first. So please deliver on my primary question. why does rain or a car wash make this car stall???

Sorry, I assure you that I'm not the one pitching the $26 phone call thing. That's done by the system. My job in real life and on here is to fix European cars, or to educate owners as to why and how their car broke. However, with that said, sometimes diagnosing a problem on an 18 year old car requires some back and forth information before I can comfortably offer up a potential solution. This is why I wanted to know what you've already spent $700 on, or what parts were replaced, so I'm not telling you to do the same thing all over again.

I could easily say replace all of your ignition coils, engine control module, throttle body, fuel pump, air mass meter, and every vacuum hose in the engine, and one of those parts might fix the problem, but that would be a dis-service to you and cost you thousands of dollars. The only way I get paid through this service is if you're happy. Right now, I'm working for free until I get a bit more info from you related to the work that has been done by two previous mechanics.

Roger, BMW Master Tech