BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

2005 bmw x3 3.0i check engine light and 4x4 light is on, it…

2005 bmw x3 3.0i check...
2005 bmw x3 3.0i check engine light and 4x4 light is on , it will crank but run very bad and shut off.i think brakes or brake caliper is stuck or mastercylder is a problem. [email protected]
3/7/2018
BMWDoc
BMWDoc, Independent BMW shop owner

Have you had the engine and transfer case control modules scanned for faults yet? A generic OBD scan tool will give us a general idea of the engine faults, but it requires a BMW-specific scan tool to get into most other modules, including ABS/Transmission/Transfer case

No sir, ive had someone suppose to come scan it.but hasnt yet, i just bought this car , i only got this because the person is rich and got frustrated with it.the 3rd brake light is also on and stays on.?
I put the right plugs in ,they had the wrong plugs with single electro they were burnt up.i put 4 ground electro plugs in..but not much difference
I dont think what happened ? Did i loss you man?
Ok yall took 26$ out ..why u cant answer my question
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor

Hi, I'm Ron a different expert.

We need to extract codes form all of the modules to start with. This is our starting point so we can have a direction to go. Most parts stores will check codes for free, but they are only checking one module. A scan tool is need to check all the modules.

Let me know what all the codes are so we can go forward with this.

Please understand that I don't know your skill level or tools
you have to assist us. Also understand that I can't see, smell,
hear, or touch the vehicle either, so your patience is
appreciated. JA is a great Q/A site, but it does not replace a
repair shop. So please don’t shoot the messenger if I have to
deliver bad news:)
pops up. I don’t get credit for helping you until
you rate me

Thanks, Ron

Ok Ron , i dont have any scan tool my friend ,if you would just try n look at my question and shoot blindly at it ,and guess what you think would be the problem i would appreciate it .? If you need me to send it again just let me know thanks

Okay, I attached a re-learn procedure for you to try and let me know if it fixes it. If not, most parts stores loan out tools that can help us too.

Thanks again, and please remember to rate me 5 stars now and keep our link in case you have any more questions for me.

Did you have any more questions for me at this time?

Thanks again, Ron

Ok ron ill try the link you sent.but when i take cables off , i need to touch them right then for 10 sec..? Then let sit for 20 mins reattach ? That right? And how do i send 5 star to you man

Yes, just touch them together for 10 seconds at any point when they are disconnected from the battery. Then leave the cables off of the battery for 20 minutes.

All you need to do is rate me 5 stars at the top of your page.

Thanks again, Ron

Ok Ron im gonna try that real quick thanks man ..

Okay, thanks again and don't forget to rate me. I don't get credit for helping you unless you rate me.

rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Ok Ron i did that you you said ,and drove it for 15 minutes ...nothin has changed ,ive turned steering wheel all the way left n right , anyway im gonna put you a 5 star up here my friend.i meant to before i hooked the cables back up.thanks idk whats the problem with it ,the center shaft underneath tge center concole ,the bearing is worn out there i hear it.,also they cut 2 pipes before the Cadillac converter,i fixed 1 with that wrap type clamp and i got another ,think that might help to fix it before diagnosis of the problem?? Thanks

Okay, let's see if the check engine or any other lights come on, then borrow that scan tool like I said and get the codes. We'll get this,we just have to get all the codes first.

Thanks again, Ron

Ok Ron, thanks man i will get the codes , maybe a few days ,is that ok? Thanks anyway buddy

Yep, just keep me posted.

Thanks again

Hey Ron , 1 of the lights on my dash i figured out its the center shaft bearing .when i get it changed out so i can drive it, i can go get scanned a friend of mine works at part store,his diagnostic scanner is snapon and they said they could fix it for 4900$ ..wow ..anyway he gonna help me get codes soon as i can get it up there . Ok ill letyou know soon as i can ,thanks
When i say fix it,i meant to say ,his scanner 15,000 he dropped ,now they want 4900$ to fix .thanks .let me know if you got this messages

Wow, okay let me know what happens next.

Thanks, Ron

Ok ron will center shaft bearing from an older sedan work ,not bearing but the rubber carrier tgat bolts up ,cause i got1 maybe here from junkyard

Not sure, but you can match them up side by side to see.

Yeah i dont have it with me friend

Ugh, sorry to hear that.

Hey buddy , hope im not bothering you to much, ive ordered the center shaft bearing ,i just got the whole unit 80$ ..that way want have to worry about taken that back apart.anyway be here tuesday .ill drive to part store on that day ,ill send you them codes Ron thanks ttyl

Good deal.

Thanks again, Ron