BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

Check engine light on. Getting code for crank ventilation.

Customer Question
Check engine light on...

Check engine light on. Getting code for crank ventilation

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

It stays on

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your BMW?

2013 535i

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 535i yourself? What have you tried so far?

Took it to mechanic, he changed the sensor and checked the wire coming from sensor

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I smell fumes in the car as well

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: BMW
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/7/2018
BMW Mechanic: Steve, BMW Expert replied 6 months ago
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert

Hello and welcome,

My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.

what is the exact code you are getting?

crank case ventilation ground
No

can you please provide the actual code

Not at this time. Scanner is in vehicle and vehicle is in the shop

I will need the actual code when it is available.

I will have access to the vehicle tomorrow morning

ok please post the info then.

ok. thanks

sure no problem

160502
That's the code I'm getting. Crankcase ventilation heating activation. Short circuit to ground
BMW Mechanic: JayPutelis, Shop Foreman/ BMW Master Tech replied 6 months ago
JayPutelis
JayPutelis, Shop Foreman/ BMW Master Tech

Hi there,

Do you still need assistance? What has your mechanic performed so far? You stated replaced sensor (which one) and which wires have they checked?

Thanks, JP

The crankcase ventilation sensor as well as two oxygen sensors

Can you get me the part number that the shop used for replacement for the crankcase sensor?

Working on it right now. Could it be computer or a faulty wire

Yes, could easily be either of those. Do you have any aftermarket equipment installed in the vehicle. i.e. piggyback tuning modules?

I was going to add a dinan stage 1 time after I get this issue resolved

Let me know when you get that part number

Got it
I will get that to you asap

Hi, any update?

On my way to the shop in about an hour

Any news?

No luck with the part number. Might take the car to BMW if this mechanic can't figure it out

Ok, Let me know when you get any more info.