BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

I have a 2010 mini clubman that won't start unless I bypass…

Customer Question
I have a 2010...

I have a 2010 mini clubman that won't start unless I bypass the starter. The codes are coming up security code and ignition code. Doesn't really pinpoint what the issue is.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

IT is a new battery.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Clubman yourself? What have you tried so far?

Brought to a mechanic bit not mini mechanic. He is unsure of the codes and doesnt want to start changing parts and run into a lot of money. Before i take it to a mini dealer I was wondering what I could possibly try.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not really. Thank you

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: BMW
3/7/2018
BMW Mechanic: Danny, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 month ago
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician
The way the system works is the key has a chip in it and when you insert the key into the ignition cylinder there is a ring around the cylinder that puts out an electromagnetic pulse that energizes the chip in the key and makes it broadcast back a key code, which is then carried into the magnetic ring up two wires to the instrument cluster and verified by the car access system control module NES requester if the chip matches the code in the cluster then when you go to start the car the corrections system tells the engine computer that's okay to actually the starter and it provides a 12-volt signal to the starter solenoid and starts the vehicle.Using a scan tool you can actually look and see okay the car access system can tell that the reader coil is there at the ignition switch and it's functioning properly it can tell what the code is in his room cluster so we know that's working and then you can load up the engine computer and tell if it's program properly to the car access system as well.Without the scan tool there's really no way to tell what part of the system is about functioning so all you can really do is hire a locksmith or take the car to a dealership and have them try to program the key but if it doesn't work, and you don't own a $15,000 scan tool capable of doing immobilizer work then you basically have to take it to a German specialist or the dealer an independent auto repair shop that doesn't specialize in German and Mini is not going to be able to fix this problem and even a lot of professional mechanics have a hard time fixing it.If I've answered your questions your satisfaction please remember to hit accept next to my name because that is the only way that I'm compensated for my time on this site. If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask, you can ask further questions about this topic even after hitting accept.
Danny
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician