BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

BMW x6 50i has been showing engine malfunction light after…

BMW x6 50i has...

BMW x6 50i has been showing engine malfunction light after it gets to operating temp. Have fixd monitor on it . it says cylinder 4 missfire. Took cylinder 1 moved to cylinder 4 still shows cylinder 4 miss fire and noe malfunction light on all the time with reduced power.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool?

My FIVD scanner say P0304

Mechanic's Assistant: I'll pass this info along to the Mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. What year is your X6?

2012

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your X6 yourself? What have you tried so far?

No taking to a repair shop It use to only do it when it was up to operating temp. Sometimes I could just stop the car, take out the FOB and most times it would be ok. When we did the 1 to 4 move it now is on all the time. Stills says P0304

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's all there is

3/6/2018
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Hi there
What exactly did you move?
Because the scanner said cylinder 4 was misfiring They moved cylinder 1 spark plug and coil to cylinder 4 to see if the problem would move to cylinder one . It didn't still shows cylinder 4 misfire p0304
did you get my last message??

yes sorry. so only the plug was moved?

moved 1 to 4 and 4 to 1 to see if the problem was 4's spark plug or coil still the same problem even with it still saying cylinder 4 misfire

in that case it is most likely the coil that is the problem, normally that would also be moved when the plug is moved.

next you need to move the coil. 90% the fault will follow the coil and you've found your issue

if the fault still stays in cylinder 4, then the next step would be to compression test, and move the injector as the only remaining possible causes would be a mechanical issue or bad injector.

If you need more help please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, please consider rating me as 5 STAR!! It is much appreciated. You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question after you rate if needed - rating will not close out your question. Please do not forget to leave a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my time and answer, thank you.

Steve
Steve, BMW Expert