BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

07 BMW 328I BMW E90 CLUSTER DIED, NO LIGHTS, GAUGES, OR

ANYTHING ELSE...
07 BMW 328I BMW E90 CLUSTER DIED, NO LIGHTS, GAUGES, OR ANYTHING ELSE
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/5/2018
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Hi there sorry for the delay
Has anything been checked so far?
Bought it from an auction and it was fine, one day as i was having it prepaired to vaccum it i noticed the cluster isnt on anymore, checked the fuses in the glove box and none burned, checked behind the cluster just to make sure it wasnt a connection issue and it was tight, removed the plug and put it back, nothing, as i was about to install the screws to the cluster she came on, so i turned the car off and decided to finish it the next day, next day same thing, dead cluster no lights or icons pr messaes, no chime for the turn signals even though they work, headlined ghrs work, all windows, sunroof, radio, climate, everything works except the cluster, battery is good, possible that someone was also checking fuses cause glove bx is broken and fuse box is off. Tried to get codes for the instrument but couldnt sonce the scanner isnt able to connect to it. Has aftermarket radio and there are two wires in the fuse box that get their juice from two fuses, not sure what theybare for
Anything?

if the cluster is out, and the fuse is good, that almost always means the cluster itself is bad.

the only wild card here is that fuse box situation, it could be that power to the cluster isn't being sent given modifications, so I would be sure to check into this before condemning the cluster.

If you need more help please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, please consider rating me as 5 STAR!! It is much appreciated. You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question after you rate if needed - rating will not close out your question. Please do not forget to leave a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my time and answer, thank you.

Ya thats what i thought but again the cluster was working fine for days and all of a sudden lost it, which fuse is the cluster one? And if i fond the fuse to be good how do i check the power to the cluster as far as the wires that plug in the back, i need to know which should have power

what is the vin of the car

WBAVC53547FZ75199

the fuse is 58

power comes in on pin 9, red/blue wire, on the x11175 18 pin connector

Please do not forget to leave a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my time and answer, thank you.

please consider rating me as 5 STAR!!

Which pin u r talking about?

there is an 19 pin connector, pin 9 on it, an end pin, with a red blue wire. there should only be one red/blue wire coming in on an end pin....

please consider rating me as 5 STAR!!

19 pon connector where? By the OBS? In the fuse box? Where?

at the back of the cluster. this is where power needs to be present to confirm a dead cluster.

please consider rating me as 5 STAR!!

i just checked the fuse and it's good, checked the back of the cluster and it has an 18 pin connector with only 7 wires, one is red/blue but there is no way for me to know where it connects cause they all go inside the connector, and there are no numbers on the pins, but one of the last ones tested for positive, and another with faint voltage, nothing mentionable...is it possible that a negative is shot going to the cluster instead of the power supply? if so, which one would it be

the brown/black wire is the ground, it gounds back at the junction box.

please consider rating me as 5 STAR!!

if that one has ground then the cluster is bad, if the cluster is bad, do i need to code the new one if i buy it used? i have 3 different scanners and none of them was i able to test the cluster or get any codes cause none are able to communicate with it

yes, if it has ground the cluster is bad

you cant install a used cluster, they are permanently paired and cannot have the mileage changed. you need to install a new one, which requires programming with a factory level BMW scan tool. Please do not forget to leave a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my time and answer, thank you.

please consider rating me as 5 STAR!!

you are saying i cannot code the used cluster to my car for it to show the right mileage? so it won't still show as the right miles on MY car but have a dot?

yes, that is what I am saying.

please consider rating me as 5 STAR!!

did you have additional questions?

i just checked and the wire has a ground, so am guessing the cluster is dead, i ordered a used one, pretty close miles to what i have and when i sell it i'll just disclose it. if i install the cluster and it still doesn't light up can i come back and ask more questions after i rate u?

yes you can ask follow up questions after rating the question does not close. please do not forget to click on a positive rating - five stars is appreciated.

Steve
Steve, BMW Expert