BMW

BMW Questions? Ask a BMW Repair Expert for Answers.

BMW

Have amy car won't crack, bought brand new starter and

Customer Question
Hey i have a*****my...

Hey i have a*****my car won't crack, bought brand new starter and battery and still no start, I'm really lost and confused i don't know what else to do

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

No they aren't corroded

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '09 BMW?

535i xdrive

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

New starter and battery

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No just connect me please

Submitted: 13 days ago.Category: BMW
2/7/2018
BMW Mechanic: Danny, ASE Certified Technician replied 13 days ago
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician
I think without a scan tool you're not going to get far. That's how the immobilizer on BMW functions. You need a scan tool to be able to see if the system can see the key pickup coil, the key, and if the systems are all communicating properly.
Customer reply replied 13 days ago
This are the codes I gotA0B4 engine start, starter operation
A0B1 input, selector-level position, implausible
A0C1 output, terminal 50
A0B2 supply , terminal 30EPlease let me know which of these codes affect the car from starting and what I need to check or change
Terminal 30 is battery power all the time and 50 is the starter circuit.. it also seems to suggest the shifter doesn't know it's in park. What does the dash display show? Have you tried moving the shifter to neutral to start? Try that. It seems to suggest that the ignition switch and possibly range switch is faulty, or you just have bad battery voltage and it's throwing things off.Have the battery tested and charged. What scan tool are you using?
Customer reply replied 13 days ago
I have never put the car in neutral to start it but I will be doing that, my battery is brand new it's fully charged and I have new starter. I'm using creator c310 scanner. Can terminal 30 &50 be the problem?
Customer reply replied 12 days ago
Where are terminal 30 and 50 located and how can i diagnose if they are the problem ?
BMW Mechanic: Danny, ASE Certified Technician replied 12 days ago
They're part of the ignition switch. So the problem would likely be the ignition switch.
Customer reply replied 12 days ago
Would part # or part of the ignition switch would you say it the problem?
The electrical portion of the ignition switch, basically you need to turn the ignition switch on and start checking for voltage with a voltmeter.
Customer reply replied 12 days ago
Would you say the problem is where the key fob is inserted or where the push/start button is?
I would check at the push button to see if it is getting battery power all the time, then I would see if the module itself is functioning properly.
Customer reply replied 12 days ago
What if the problem is not the ignition switch, what other causes can I look for ?
Customer reply replied 10 days ago
I have 2009 535i xdrive, it does not start or crank, new starter and battery, I tried putting it in neautral still no startThese are the codes I got using creator 310 scannerA0B4 engine start, starter operation
A0C1 output, terminal 50
A0B2 supply , terminal 30EPlease let me know what else I should try
BMW Mechanic: jagmaster, ASE Certified Technician replied 10 days ago
jagmaster
jagmaster, ASE Certified Technician

Hello there- I have a lot of experience with BMW's. Thank you for the codes. That helps tremendously. Can you tell me what lead up to your issues? Was the car flooded or damaged in any way?

Customer reply replied 10 days ago
Thank you for contacting meNo damage or floor, everThe car was fine just one day it didn't start it even started that same day just fine. Now it been stuck for weeks and I have no idea what the problem is. I don't want to buy anymore expensive parts for no reason if I don't know the actual reason.Any ideas what can cause this from the codes I provided ?

I'm confident that the transmission gear selector has an issue. It can be one of two things. It can be the PRNDL switch inside the vehicle attached to the shifter, or the grear position sensor on the transmission. The problem is typically the one on the transmission. That can be adjusted as well, but requires a special tool.

Customer reply replied 10 days ago
Just can a faulty gear sensor cause the car to not start? How are they related ?What about terminal 30 and 50 can they be the problem for no start? And where are they located?

Those power faults are common, and ignorable. The gear position will absolutely prevent the car from starting because the car doesn't know that it's safe to start. It will inhibit the starting function and prevent start up. I'd have a local shop hook up to the BMW computer and theat will let them look at what the modules are seeing and than you can replace the failed component.

Customer reply replied 10 days ago
What part or part number would you suggest to look for to resolve this issue ?

24 35 7 532 668

I would have it verified using the BMW computer, but this is the most likely cause.

Customer reply replied 10 days ago
Can I bring my BMW scanner to a BMW shop and have them take a look? Is that what you were suggesting

No, I would pay them to hook up their tool to verify the inputs from the sensors. They should charge you an hour of labor to do so.

Customer reply replied 10 days ago
Would the mechanic come to my house my car don't move?If they use their scanner would they solve the problem 100% ?

You'd need to tow it to them. 100% doesn't exist in car mechanics. I'd give it a solid 90% though:)

Customer reply replied 10 days ago
What I mean by that was is it certain 100% it's a electrical problem and can be detected by a scanner

Yeah- It's an electrical issue, and they should be able to watch the two inputs at the same time, and see which isn't functioning correctly.

Customer reply replied 10 days ago
Would you suspect that's it's an ignition switch problem? If it's not the gear sensor

I'm very confident the gear position is the issue. I' dont think it's likely to be the ignition switch.

Customer reply replied 10 days ago
I'm curious as to why the codes read about terminal 50 and 30? What could they mean, are they related to the no start as well?

The codes aren't gospel- it's more of a guidance, or really just clues. The sensors are always just saying what they don't see. So keep in mind, that when you try to start, and the system doesn't know what gear your in, it wont start. So a module says that there must be a power supply problem because I asked for power and didn't get it. The important code you have is the position implausible fault. Thats the important one.

Customer reply replied 10 days ago
Yea that makes sense lol
How do I get to the gear sensor and remove it ? (Easy/hard) Any steps ..

Kind of hard. I would suspect that youtube would have some videos on how to do it. It's just a pain without a lift.

Customer reply replied 10 days ago
Got youAlso I forgot to mention , my mechanic came and inspected my car the other day and used a voltmeter(not sure) on the starter solenoid and he told me to push the start button and he said the starter was the problem because it wasn't giving the starter any signal.

Yep- gear position switch wont sent allow a signal to go to starter.

jagmaster
jagmaster
jagmaster, ASE Certified Technician