BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

I have a 2012 328I...for the past couple of days, the music…

Hello...I have a 2012...

Hello...I have a 2012 328I...for the past couple of days, the music that I have stored in the CD storage will not play back...you push the button for 'current playback' and the screen just say 'please wait...' It did this once before a few weeks back, but the next time I started the car, it worked, but this time it's two days and no music.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuse?

The CD itself works fine...it's the stored music files that won't work...not a fuse issue I don't think...

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 328i yourself? What have you tried so far?

I haven't done anything yet, just looking for answers as to why my stored music files won't play

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No not really...this is the only issue I have right now

Answered in 1 hour by:
1/23/2018
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
hi there sorry for the wait
is it music from a cd that won't play, or stored music on the hard drive?
Stored music
stored music this is on the hardrive

Please do not forget to leave a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my time and answer, thank you.

thanks for confirming.

I would suggest you unhook the vehicle battery for one hour as this will preform a hard reset of the system and can often clear out glitches.

if the issue persists, then this would unfortunately indicate a hardware or software fault within the audio system - a software update at BMW might be enough to help, although you may need to have the hard drive replaced in a worst case scenario.

If you need more help please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, please consider rating me as 5 STAR!! It is much appreciated. You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question after you rate if needed - rating will not close out your question. Please do not forget to leave a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my time and answer, thank you.

Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
I'll try the reset. If that doesn't work, can I just put my music on a thumb drive and plug it into the console USB fitting and play the music from a thumb drive instead?
that should still work unless that functionality has also become non responsive.