BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

2011 328i Xdrive to dealer for intermittent electrical

2011 328i Xdrive to...

2011 328i Xdrive to dealer for intermittent electrical problem where dash gauges cycle, warning lights come on, 4x4 warning, electrical failure warning. Turn car off, restart, no warnings. Dealer scans and finds 60 codes. Tells me the TMPS RDC needs replacement. Challenge this in that the service person and I thought it would be the footwell module. When he asked the tech, the tech said that the RDC module was the "cheapest" place to start. Any thoughts? Seems like a guess to me by the tech. Service manager is asking tech for a plan on what to do after if the RDC replacement doesn't clear the codes. I think the footwell module would be the place to start since it is under an extended BMW warranty.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked your tire pressure? Do you have a tire gauge?

No TPMS issues at all. All tires at factory specs.

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Challenge?

Challenge?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Challenge yourself? What have you tried so far?

It's currently at the dealer. I am not making the assessment or repair.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, thanks.

1/23/2018
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

This can be the footwell module but the dealer would have to do testing to determine for sure which is the cause here.

I would ask the dealer that if the tech replaces the component he wants to replace and if it does not resolve the issue will the dealer pay for the repair costs or help with the costs to re-diagnose and repair it properly.

But without seeing and testing this here myself it is hard to say for sure what needs to be replaced.The foot well module can be a common component though to set off several faults like this here needing to be replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician