BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

2007 3.0 x5 ... brake wear indicator will not reset.. yes I…

Customer Question
2007 3.0 x5 .....

2007 3.0 x5 ... brake wear indicator will not reset..

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your X5 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I am mechanic. replaced pads and sensors. sensors are oem

Mechanic's Assistant: Which particular sensor are you asking about? And have any trouble codes been triggered?

Just brake pad wear code on front and rear.. I have power at each plug

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: BMW
1/20/2018
BMW Mechanic: Marty, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 months ago
Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician

Hi, my name is***** are you resetting the brake wear warning? Do you have a scan tool that can reset the condition based service reminder?

I have a fox well.. and we have tried with launch and snap on.. will not reset
I have also cut and tied sensor wires together to try and override. no avail

Ok, have you replaced both the front and rear sensors with OEM sensors? You cannot bypass the sensors.

hooked up both to plug. no difference

Ok, I've had problems with the aftermarket sensors. Plug in the new OEM sensors at the front and rear and try using the procedure through the instrument cluster. I've attached the steps below.

1. To reset the calculated service remaining distance, follow these procedures.

2. Turn ignition to the "run" position without starting vehicle.

3. Wait until the time/date shows up in the instrument cluster display between the tachometer and speedometer.

4. Press and hold the odometer reset button for a few seconds until a warning triangle appears.

5. Once the warning triangle appears, or very soon thereafter, release the odometer reset button. Once the button is released, the maintenance and service reminders should be accessible by toggling the thumb wheel on the turn signal stalk.

6. Press up and down on the thumb wheel until you can access the reminder which you would like to reset. The remaining mileage, positive or negative, should appear below the icon for the reminder. Negative numbers mean the service is overdue, positive numbers will count down to zero and then start counting up in negative numbers if not reset.

7. Once the reminder you would like to reset is on the display in the instrument cluster, press and hold the Board Computer (BC) button on the end of the turn signal stalk until the instrument cluster display asks "reset?".

8. With "reset?" in the instrument cluster, release and then again press the BC button momentarily. The mileage until the service you want reset will momentarily show several underscores after which it will display the mileage due until the next service.

Let me know how you make out.

already performed this procedure over and over. no luck
both aftermarket and oem sensors
door closed. even seat belt on
I have identical small voltage at each plug
either 2 or 20 ohms can't remember exactly
don't think this relates but I did recently replace transfer case and actuator.. but has been fine until mileage ran down on brakes. fronts are yellow 600 miles left rears -60 now. will not reset and small red brake light stays on dash

I have had some that have been very reluctant to reset. Have you tried a hard reset on the network by disconnecting the battery cables and joining them together for 5 minutes?

oh man. I disconnected neg cable yesterday and my windows and sunroof kept opening by themselves. I about lost it. lol
they finally stopped after letting vehicle sit for a while.
I have no other lights on dash.. but could this be anything to do with dsc not communicating.
I’d try the hard reset first.
I will go try it. But b4 I do have u seen this problem with the windows continuing to roll down and moon roof after battery disconnect ??
disconnect neg and pos at battery and hold together for 5 min correct
Not rolling down on their own. After you perform the reset you will need to initialize the windows and sunroof.
Correct on the reset.
Ok. I’ll go try it. Be back shortly thx
Ok
No luck dog. Same as b4
yeah. no luck Marty. hard reset didn't work. any other ideas?

Try locking the car and waiting 30 minutes for everything to shut down then repeat the reset procedure through the cluster. I'd also try a new sensor just in case you have a bad one. If you have no luck you may need to perform a software update.

Still no luck Marty.. any other ideas?

Did you try resetting the brake pad % with the Autel?

Tool says it’s reset but no affect on vehicle. I reset wear mileage also and nothing

I'm going to connect to a car in the morning and see if I can come up with a solution.

Thx. Man. I appreciate your effort. Driving me nuts that the vehicle is mechanically perfect and I can’t sell it with this issue. Thx again

You're quite welcome. Just to confirm, you did purchase the sensors from the BMW dealer, is that correct?

one bmw sensors. I had tried 4 different aftermarket sensors also.
Both Oem. Sorry. Auto correct
BMW Mechanic: Marty, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago

Ok, check the DSC control module and erase any fault codes stored. Then take the car on a road test of about 5 miles or so and then try resetting the brake pad wear. We have found that codes stored in the DSC will prevent the pad life. Road testing has also seemed to help.

We have also had some where we had to manually enter the brake pad thickness. We have had to try different thicknesses in order to get it to reset.

Just tried all this but the abs/dsc code for rear brake will not clear. Front will for a minute or two but still will not reset and then codes back up.. not sure if this a disc communication issue but I have no dash light on for dsc/abs or traction. If this had an issue wouldn’t it pop up on the dash. Thanks from pulling hair out. ��

What are you getting for fault codes in the DSC? What are the code numbers?

5f1 3 and 5f1 4
And in the vtg transfer case
55c3
55d0

Haven't forgotten you. Try removing both sensors and installing jumpers. Use the old sensors if you still have them and just bare and twist the two wires together. With the sensors bypassed try resetting the CBS again. You may need to repeat the procedure multiple times in order for it to reset. If you get it reset go ahead and install the new sensors.

Let me know if it works.

Thanks Marty. Already did this. Using wires and paper clips. I do have either 20 or 2 ohms on both plugs

Can you try it again using an old sensor? I need to make sure that we have good continuity on your jumpers.

I measured new sensors today. They measure 0 ohms.

Are the front and rear systems separate. Can we just try fronts first? To see if we have any success. As they are easier access.. I have tried 6 sensors at this point. 4 aftermarket and 2 bmw.
0 ohms on the connector end or at the plug/harness
You can reset them one at a time. I had zero ohms at the sensor.
No luck Marty. Also. I have 0 ohms with key off. With key on 3 ohms at bare wires. Sounds right to me. No ??

I have read about the need to have the time and date set in the OBC in order for the reset to work. I've also heard about having to recode the DSC module.

I have read about the need to have the time and date set in the OBC in order for the reset to work. I've also heard about having to recode the DSC module.Also, try leaving the key on for 10 minutes without starting the car. I know you've replaced the sensors multiple times but disconnect and closely inspect the terminals in each sensor. I use the Autologic in the shop and have not had too many problems. The most common problem is aftermarket sensors or improperly seated connectors. Sometimes we have to repeat the procedure multiple times. Just throwing out some ideas.

I have the time and date reset.. I have to check my scan tool to see if I can recode the doc module .. that would be my next step.. I have many times checked the connectors and connections. man I appreciate you hanging in there. we will find the issue.. I have well over 8 hours time on this.. I'll keep u posted on my end. thx
You’re welcome. Try leaving the key on for a good while if you haven’t already tried that.
I will. Thx