BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

I have a 2012 BMW 535i with 55,000 miles. This morning the…

I have a 2012...

I have a 2012 BMW 535i with 55,000 miles. This morning the car started right up in the garage, but would not shift into gear. The garage is small and most of the warning sensors on the car were indicating that I was close to the walls. It seemed that the car didn't want to move as it was sensing that if it moved it would hit something.

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?

The transmission is original. Do you mean the emergency brake switch?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 535i yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing. Is it possible that the external sensors will prevent the car from shifting into gear?

1/18/2018
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
No, it is not possible that the sensors will prevent the car from going into gear. It does not have the capability. Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert