BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

I keep getting a random P1345 code on my 2002 BMW325I. I can…

I keep getting a...

I keep getting a random P1345 code on my 2002 BMW325I. I can shut the vehicle off and start it again and it runs fine.

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

It first showed on cylinder 1 so I moved the coil pack to number 2 it came back. so i bought a new coil pack. it keeps showing cylinder 2 now Yes the headlights come on

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '02 BMW?

325i

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 325i yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes

1/17/2018
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

P1345 is a misfire for cylinder 2.If you have swapped or replaced the coil pack and this misfire is still coming up check the spark plug in cylinder 2 and see if it is worn and maybe try swapping it out to see if the misfire is resolved.If the misfire in cylinder 2 is still acting up then you may have a failing fuel injector that is not atomizing properly causing this issue.I have seen fuel injectors act up like this here before in the past and had to replace the faulty injector for this fault here.The fuel injector will need to be tested using an injector pulse tool and fuel pressure test gauge to see if it needs to be replaced.If it is o.k. then a cylinder compression test needs to be done to see if there is low compression in cylinder 2.If there is low compression this will cause this fault and the most common cause is usually a burned or damaged valve for cylinder 2 needing to be replaced in the cylinder head.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Sometimes after few cycles when driving it on a regular basis the code will reset. Then it will sit for a few days and it send the fault code. the engine will run rough. If I shut it off and wait a second then turn the car back on the check engine light remains on but it will run fine.

It sounds like the misfire is intermittent which rules out any compression or valve issues.This can still be an intermittent fault with the spark plug for cylinder 2 needing to be replaced or the fuel injector not atomizing properly needing to be replaced.You will need to have these checked/tested to locate which is the cause and then repaired from there.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time, this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5-star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician