BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

Following up about my 2006 BMW X3. The car hasn't been

following up about my 2006...
following up about my 2006 BMW X3. The car hasn't been starting and we checked the key situation and bought a valet key at BMW with no success. I took the battery out today and had it tested at Advance Auto and they said the battery is in very good condition. So I guess I'm left looking into the alternator. Is there any way to test the alternator at this point before I order a new one? Also another problem is that when I took the battery out of the trunk hatch, the rear hatch what a matically locked and I can't get back into the hatch to put the battery back. Is there any other way of opening the hatch except for using the button on the dash inside now that I have no battery in the car?
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/16/2018
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Hi why do you suspect the alternator?
Well we already tried replacing the key we already tested the battery. The last time it started it clicked a few times and then crank over. So I don't know what else to suspect. Is there any other test I can perform as a non BMW mechanic layperson?

Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you

the alternator plays no role in engine start... it only charges the battery once the vehicle is running, so it is not the cause of your no start issue.
the next test would be to access the starter and have it bench tested, and also check that the start signal is making it to the starter, and that a full 12.5V is present when you try to start.

if you need a good non dealer option to cut down on costs, check out www.bimmershops.com or www.bimrs.org for options.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Sorry I meant to say starter not alternator. So the next step would to be have it bench tested and take it out of the car. Is that a hard starter to get out?

yes that is the next step, and to test for voltage and start signal as I said.

it is located under the intake manifold, it isn't terribly easy to get out unfortunately

Please do not forget to click a positive rating

Okay thanks. One last question. I took the battery out of the car to have it tested and the trunk hatch locked and I can't get it open because we always use the electric button on the dash. Is there another way to open the hatch on this car so I can put the battery back in?

there is a manual release if you climb into the trunk: https://app.box.com/s/4b4wbc4mzo5exoyawtr2w6r9joq60ueo Please do not forget to click a positive rating

Steve
Steve, BMW Expert