BMW

BMW Questions? Ask a BMW Repair Expert for Answers.

BMW

2005 x5 4.8 cranks, almost starts, but won't start all the…

Customer Question
2005 x5 4.8 cranks...

2005 x5 4.8 cranks, almost starts, but won't start all the way. Happens periodically (about every 8-10 times i drive the car). When it does this & i let it sit for an hour or so, it starts right up.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the engine's fuel supply? And the spark plugs -- are they all working?

Yep

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your X5 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Initially looked at myself, then had shade-tree bmw specialist look at. When won't start, duel injector pilse not coinciding with spark. Also, when doing this, bsd network down. No fault codes.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Do have some oil leaks.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: BMW
Answered in 1 day by:
1/17/2018
BMW Mechanic: peterpete190, Auto Technician replied 1 month ago
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

This issue here may be due to a wiring fault causing the network to go down and the injector signal issues.If you have not had engine and computer wiring connections and wiring checked over for any issues this needs to be done.If this is or was checked already and found o.k. let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have had the engine and computer wiring connections checked. No problems found. Shade-tree BMW mechanic said they'd never seen anything like it and couldn't find someone else who had. The only other thing they could think of to do was to replace the engine computer (a $2500 replacement) and were afraid the attempted fix would not work & the part would be unreturnable (as it has to be keyed specifically to the BMW security system). So, in essence, I could spend another $2500 and still have the car not start occasionally.

It is possible the engine computer is the cause of this fault here.I have seen in some cases the computer fail to cause this type of fault with it needing to be replaced but without seeing the vehicle it's hard to say for sure from here.If there is anyway another experienced facility can look into this to help locate the fault this is the best thing to do here as this way it can be tested and repaired properly.If you would like for someone else here to try and help with this let me know.

Thanks Pete

peterpete190
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician