BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

Following up about my 2006 X3 that won't start. The last we…

Following up about my 2006...
Following up about my 2006 X3 that won't start. The last we spoke, we narrowed it down to most likely a bad battery or a bad starter. I've been charging the battery for 24 hours and the charger gauge still shows that it is not fully charged it's still in the orange range under the green range. I didn't put a voltage tester on it yet I will do it today, what if a battery is bad will the car start when I use jumper cables? Because I also tried jumping it from my other car and had the cables on for a half hour before I tried. So if the battery is bad will the jump not work?
1/15/2018
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Usually a jump will work if a battery is weak, but if the battery is internally damaged or shorted it can prevent start. It might be a good idea to invest in a new battery of the current one is suspect at all. Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.
Can i bypass the battery with jumper cables to see if its the starting problem? Go direct to starter?

you can disconnect the battery to get it out of the circuit and connect the jumpers to the battery cables, you won't be able to get directly to the starter without teardown - it is buried. Please do not forget to click a positive rating

i can disconnect the battery terminals, and hook the jumper cables directly to the negative and positive terminals, and jump start or try to start the car? Do I leave the car running that we're connecting the jumper cables to or just run from the battery without the car running? And if the battery is the problem should the car start like this?
this isn't the ideal set up but you can try it. It may not start but you should get a different response if the battery is the issue. Ideally you would replace the battery.
you can have the donor car running.
Please do not forget to click a positive rating
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Thanks