BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

My heater motor in my 1996 BMW 318i does not work, I have…

Customer Question
My heater motor in...

My heater motor in my 1996 BMW 318i does not work, I have replaced the heater resistor and checked to fuses, no luck. I think I may need to replace the heater motor.

Mechanic's Assistant: Most vehicles have two fuse panels. Have you located both?

I checked the owners book and it only shows one panel under the hood, where is the second one?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 318i yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, I checked the fuses and replaced the blower motor.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Sorry replaced the blower motor resistor, so now the only thing is to check/replace the blower motor.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: BMW
1/13/2018
BMW Mechanic: TIM MOHR, ASE MASTER TECH replied 4 months ago
TIM MOHR
TIM MOHR, ASE MASTER TECH

Hi, my name is ***** ***** are easy to diagnose, do you have a test light or a volt meter?

I do.
I do have a volt meter.

Do you still need help with this, I was off last night when you replied?

I do.

Are you at the vehicle right now?

its outside, give me few min's to get to it.
We are at the car now

ok, give me a minute to bring up the wiring diagrams,Tim

ok, there are 2 wires at the blower motor, you need to check for voltage at each wire, with the blower turned on, one should have power, does it?

This is why I went to justanswers to get information on how to find an access the blower motor so first things first how do I access the blower motor

to access the blower motor, it i done under the hood, and the windshield wiper motor and transmission need to come out, its about a 3 hour job to access it, is this something you are willing to do?

I need a diagram on how to do it.
Include step by step instructions on how to access it
BMW Mechanic: Steve, BMW Expert replied 4 months ago
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert

hello what is the last 7 of the vin of the vehicle?

LC72036
here is the info to access the blower: https://www.dvatp.com/bmw/hvac_blower please do not forget to select a positive rating on my answer as there are multiple experts involved.
I am not done with this issue, until I have fixed the ability of the car to provide heat and air. Please wait until I have replaced the blower motor.
I have ordered a new blower motor, it will not be here until next week.

hi - you can follow up after rating if need be, as the question has been answered please be sure to select a positive rating on my answer.

Steve
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert