BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

Driving along on highway ('76 2002) and it just stopped.

Customer Question
Driving along on highway...

Driving along on highway ('76 2002) and it just stopped. changed cap,rotor,coil, wires,points and condensor. have 12v to coil and distributor. points spark but have no spark at the plugs obviously, then, it won't start. what now?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

Strong battery, cranks like crazy

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '76 BMW?

2002, 2 liter, manual

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, myself. put in new cap, rotor, condensor, points, wires, coil. checked for 12v at coil and distributor, all good, but no spark at plugs

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Is there a relay or something i'm missing?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: BMW
1/13/2018
BMW Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 7 months ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

if there's 12V at the coil but no spark then I'd next check that the main engine ground connection is in good condition

you can do a quick test by adding another ground wire with a jump lead between the battery negative post and the engine block

if it springs to life you know what to concentrate on

if thats no good then check the points will spark by turning on the ignition and flicking the points open and you should get a tiny spark jumping across

if not then I'd suspect the condenser may be faulty and also check that the distributor is turning when you turn the engine

BMW Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 6 months ago

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt