BMW

BMW Questions? Ask a BMW Repair Expert for Answers.

BMW

2007 bmw x3 ABS dash light, brake dash light and 4x4 dash…

2007 bmw x3 ABS...

2007 bmw x3 ABS dash light, brake dash light and 4x4 dash lights come on after driving for about 15 minutes

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?

No

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your X3 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Haven't tried anything yet. Didn't know if it was a problem with the lights or electrical system or if there is problems with the items listed.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

After shutting off the car, there is a rapid clicking coming from the engine compartment. Only last 4 or 5 seconds.Also when rear window defogger on, it causes static in FM radio stations.

1/13/2018
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
What is the last 7 of the vin?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
wf22994

Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you

When these warning lights come on together, it indicates a fault within the ABS / traction control system on the car. These lights are not specific and are only intended to inform the driver that a fault is present. There are MANY possible causes for these generic warnings as they are not intended to be specific or aid in trouble shooting / diagnostics in any way.

With that said, there is a very, very common cause on your model, and that is an issue with the transfer case motor.

The good news is that when these lights come on, the car’s computer logs a specific record of the problem. As such, you will need to have the fault memory read from the vehicle to determine exactly what your underlying issue is. Again likely the transfer case motor, but also possibly a sensor or module in the system.

if you need a good non dealer option to cut down on costs, check out www.bimmershops.com or www.bimrs.org for options.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Steve
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert