BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

2005 x3 I have a 5dec code and the 4x4 brade and airbag

2005 x3 I have...

2005 x3 I have a 5dec code and the 4x4 brade and airbag codes which flash on and off as I drive the vehichle. Problem led to me attempting fix by replacing transfer case/which did show loose chain and shavings, and later replacing the acutator motor itself. Codes still flashing. Do I need to have the mod reflashed?

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the battery fully charged?

Not sure? We needed to jump it last week due to cold weather

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your X3 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Working with a local mechanic who owns one himself. He operates out of a shop, not a BMW shop.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I've listed the fixes so far and would like any advise as to not keep throughing parts at it

1/9/2018
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
What is the last 7 of the vin?
WD01709

Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you

if the transfer case and actuator are both new, then the next step would be programming / calibration.

if that doesn't work I would have to suspect the new actuator is faulty.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

My Local mechanic noted the old Actuator blue the fuse in amp meter, The new one just installed today did not blow the fuse, but he doesn't feel the motor engaging. Might this point to, and confirm the thought that this is a bad actuator, or does the motor not sounding suggest it's not being called for by the transfer case mod while in the air?

the motor should make some noise but I would be sure to road test it as well after unhooking the battery for an hour and then leaving the ignition on for 2min prior to fully starting the engine.

Steve
Steve, BMW Expert