BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

I tried to start my 2006 325i, and it fluttered out. When I…

Customer Question
I tried to start...

I tried to start my 2006 325i, and it fluttered out. When I tried again, it just made an electrical humming noise and wouldn't crank. All lights are on, and battery is good.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuel supply? And are all the spark plugs working?

I have not

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 325i yourself? What have you tried so far?

It just happened this morning before I left for work. So I didn't get a chance to check anything. I tried 9 -10 times

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It is cold

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: BMW
1/8/2018
BMW Mechanic: peterpete190, Auto Technician replied 5 months ago
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

When you say it fluttered out did it start then die out or was it the starter that fluttered out from a good crank over speed to no speed at all or no crank?

Let me know, thanks, Pete.

It started then died out

Even though you have all electrical have you tried a jump start?You can have voltage from the battery to allow electronics to work but you may not have the amperage needed for the battery to allow cranking over or to allow the engine to stay running.I have come across this several times before.If you have not tried a jump start or to recharge the battery to see if it then starts and runs this needs to be done.If this was already tried let me know here so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

I tried jump starting it and got nothing

Does the humming noise come from the starter area or only occur when you hold the key in the starting position?

Only when I push the start/stop button

O.k., this may, in fact, be your starter.If the starter has frozen up or seized it will create this noise here and will not allow cranking over of the engine and causes this issue.

I would have the starter signals tested to see if the starter is in fact at fault causing this issue needing replaced.You should have at or near 12 volts DC on the large wire at the starter at all times.You should have at or near 12 volts DC on the smaller ignition wire at the starter only when the key is held in the crank position.If you have both of these signals then the starter needs to be replaced.

I wouldn't think the engine would be locked up but its possible if water got into the intake.You can try and remove some spark plugs and see if any water or coolant comes out.If any does then the engine is hydro locked and may be damaged to the point internally to be replaced.The engine would have to be removed and taken apart for inspection and repair.

In some cases, you can tap on the starter to get it to crank over again if it is locked up.If it starts then the starter needs to be replaced.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time, this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5-star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete