BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

I have a 07 320i E90 with 103202km. It started jerking when…

Customer Question
Hi, I have a...

Hi, I have a 07 320i E90 with 103202km. It started jerking when in gear, (reverse or drive) pretty violently. I also noticed the gear symbol in display blinking.

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

Yes, the car starts and runs. We checked the transmission fluid level and it was almost a half quart low. Topped it up and there seemed to be a little improvement. Went ahead and changed transmission filter and fluid, problem still occurs. getting 2DCA code- no message from EGS

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 320i yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am a mechanic checking this vehicle for a friend. We have done what was said above as well as referred to BMW technical bulletins 24 13 07 and 24 08 06, and have made necessary checks.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I think that covers it.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: BMW
1/7/2018
BMW Mechanic: Steve, BMW Expert replied 4 months ago
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
What is the vin?
WBAVA76090NL32084
Also I'd like to add: The vehicle sat for a couple weeks waiting for the transmission filter after we did the filter/fluid change we experienced a misfire, while the vehicle was misfiring the JERKING went away. The vehicle drove and shifted fine ( besides the cylinder 2 misfire obviously). We troubleshot the problem and replaced a faulty coil and the JERK came back. If I unplug coil # 1 and create a misfire again the JERK goes away.
Still getting 2DCA- no message from EGS.

Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you

sorry for the delay

I would check the electrical connector at the transmission for any signs of fluid leaking onto it

if that looks good, then you likely have a faulty EGS

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Hi Steve, a little more info for you. As I indicated we referred to the 2 technical bulletins on the x8500 connector- There were some signs of fluid around the connector but all pins including pin 14 were good in the plug and the receptacle. And the distance for sealing sleeve and the connector is within spec. We cleaned up connector and pins, could this still be an issue?
Also I cleared the code and restarted the vehicle, the code comes right back, Jerk still occurs! If I clear the code and unplug coil #1 to recreate the scenario after we changed filter and fluid the code does not come back and the jerk goes away ( only code is misfire code then) is this merely a coincidence? I would think this means the transmission is OK but electronically the misfire is changing the way the system works.
NOTE: When we have the 2DCA code the gear designation on display blinks and I noticed a slight cycling whine noise that ends in a little thump that I can feel in the gear shift even in park. But this does not happen all the time.
Hi Steve, hoping to get a little more from you on this. I would have thought if it was the EGS it would happen when the vehicle was in a misfire condition or not. Unless there is some kind of fail safe or something related electronically.

the misfire thing sounds like a coincidence to me.

based on available information there isn't much else to point to but the egs itself.

I totally agree that when the misfire started it was a total coincidence, but why does the code not show up or the jerking and other conditions NOT happen when the misfire is occuring? I am in the Bahamas and parts are hard to find and very costly. I am trying to be as sure as possible before we just start swapping parts. Can you help with a part number and what an EGS would normally cost? Is the module in the transmission, so we would have to drop the pan again?
Also will the module have to be programmed?
Do I still need to worry about the x8500 plug on the transmission or after clean up do you think it will be OK?

what is the last 7 of the vin?

Last 7 digits of VIN is NL32084. But The first thing I sent you was the full VIN. Please look back at all the info to get the full picture. Seems something is getting lost along the lines.

part number is ***** $3700 US in the states.

yes it would need to be programmed. yes the pan would need to be dropped.

the plug is probably okay if it has been totally cleaned.

Hi Steve, I hate to leave this like this as I have a problem replacing a part that I am not totally sure is faulty and I have doubts as the problem goes away while the car is experiencing a misfire condition- shifts fine and no jerking. It seems crazy that hese problems would even be related. This part alone will cost at least $6000.00 with freight and import duties to get here. After further checks there is another code popping up sometimes, I saw it before but after clearing it never came back. It's 2A59- valvetronic eccentric shaft sensor and a 2A5B with the same description. Could this be related, and be the cause of the problem? I hope this helps or should I get a second opinion?

the new code points to a bad eccentric shaft sensor, common failure. I can' tell you anything different regarding the mechatronics with the information you've provided.

Steve
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert