BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

My top is stuck in the trunk. 2008 328I convertible.

My top is stuck...

My top is stuck in the trunk

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tried silicone spray or WD-40?

No

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your BMW?

2008 328I convertible

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Convertible yourself? What have you tried so far?

Attempting to remedy.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

When trying to put the top up, the windows go down, the trunk lid opens, but the top stays in the trunk compartment.

1/6/2018
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
hi how can I help you with this? what was your specific question?
the top on my 2008 BMW 328i convertible is stuck in the trunk compartment. when engagaing the switch to return the top to the up position, the windows go down, the trunk lid goes up...but the top stays in the trunk. Does the convertible top motor run off of a fuse? was thinking this may be the issue? any other work arounds that I can try?

Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you

no, this isn't a fuse issue unfortunately

the trunk is either jammed, stuck on something in the trunk, or has a failed sensor or drive unit

I would suggest looking down in the trunk for any obstructions, sometimes things on the outsides can get caught.

if three is nothing, you can also push down and pull up on the top while attempting to raise it.

if no luck, there is a more serious failure that will need to be professionally diagnosed and repaired.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

UGH...that is what I was afraid of. There is nothing in the trunk...but I will double check.It's not a REAL issue, as it is stored in our garage and we only use the vehicle as our weekend cruiser...I will try your suggestions...
Thanks for your help~

you are welcome please do not forget to click on a positive rating

sorry one last question....any idea what it would cost to repair either possible issue?

a sensor would be a couple hundred dollars, a bad drive unit more in the 1500 range. Please do not forget to click a positive rating

Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Thank you!