BMW

BMW Questions? Ask a BMW Repair Expert for Answers.

BMW

2002 325i-replaced lower radiator hose with coolant sensor…

Customer Question
2002 325i-replaced lower radiator...

2002 325i-replaced lower radiator hose with coolant sensor as well....filled up reservoir...didn't notice coolant sucking into block once warm so replaced the thermostat/body and refilled. Noticed coolant movement at fill opening. Filled to very top...tried to take a bit of coolant out....then capped it.
Problem is I still have a leak. Dealer I bought car from said he put a new reservoir in it...but may be not? Still has coolant in it...bobber is still sitting in liquid and pops up when I remove the cap. No engine/coolant light coming on and temp needle running right in the middle. No smells of exessive heat or coolant blowing off and engine hood is extremely cool to the touch. My question is.... is it possible to fill the reservoir too much thus creating too much pressure in the system and then it leaks?

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

Noise? im leaking coolant

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '02 BMW?

325i e46 sedan

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sedan yourself? What have you tried so far?

Read my post

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: BMW
1/4/2018
BMW Mechanic: Steve, BMW Expert replied 1 month ago
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert

Hello and welcome,

My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.

Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you

no, slightly overfilling will not cause it to leak.

you will need to have the system pressure tested to reveal the leak location.
if you need a good non dealer option to cut down on costs, check out www.bimmershops.com or www.bimrs.org for options.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Steve
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert