BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

1995 BMW 525I, check eng. light NOT illum. but still gave a…

Customer Question
1995 BMW 525I, check...

1995 BMW 525I, check eng. light NOT illum. but still gave a code of 2311,OBD 1, starts up and runs smooth for a few minutes then runs as if coil or injector not right. Exteme cold lately. Has drygas. I hear BMW electrics aren't far behind Lucas(ha ha) Thanks

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

OBD 1 code put out

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '95 BMW?

525I

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 525i yourself? What have you tried so far?

Not much given the outdoor temps, right now I'm considering eng/body grounds and coil(s)

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Will a fuel injector start up good and then run crappy?

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: BMW
1/4/2018
BMW Mechanic: Pete, Mechanic replied 6 months ago
Pete, Mechanic

I dont thing it is an injector problem. I think one of the coils are bad. I have seen them start up ok and then start to missfire after a few minutes. The driver in the coil is weak and when it heats up a bit it fails. Once it starts to miss you can isolate the bad one by disconnecting the coils one at a time. The coil that is bad will not affect the running of the engine because it is not working anyway. I forgot to ask are you going to fix it yourself or bring it to a shop?

I guess the next time I should follow my own instincts, but thanks, I'm still a bit curious about the 2311 code it kicked without the check eng. light on but as I well know extreme cold does things. I put the engine in with the original coils so I have 6 xtras, I also know how to check them with the meter. I'd really like an explanation of the 2311 code.

Since it is an obd 1 car how are you getting this code? I have some older spec sheets at work and will be able to check them toworrow. I have found a B2311 code on the net it is for a brake light switch. I still have an older scanner at work and it has the BMW adapter for the older cars, so I will check that spec sheet also.

Are you using the gas pedal method of code retrieval? All the codes I have for the engine are 1211 to 1286 codes.

thanks Pete I did figure it to a coil but instead of disconnecting the coil when running (dangerous) I just touched the exhaust manifold for each cylinder since I didn't have a non contact thermometer. I'm all set.

Glad to hear that you found the problem.