BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

Something is draining the battery while turned off. I am…

Customer Question
Something is draining the...

Something is draining the battery while turned off

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?

Yes. I am charging it now as well

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your BMW?

There is a load on the battery while sitting. A 0.5 Volt difference between connected and unconnected

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Volt?

2001

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Volt yourself? What have you tried so far?

What is Volt? I have an X5

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I used you guys before with great success

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: BMW
1/2/2018
BMW Mechanic: Steve, BMW Expert replied 6 months ago
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
hi how can I help you with this? what question did you have specifically?
Is there any components in the spare tire area that have been to cause drains. This all started when I changed a flat tire. It seems that something was intermittent because I heard noises.
It sounded like a relay engaging. Sometimes it went away when I moved the spare tire around.

Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you

any of the electronic modules back there could possibly do it.

the way to isolate the cause will be to pull fuses one by one until the draw stops, then you will have identified the problem circuit

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.