BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

Abs light is on .2003 bmw x5 4.4 wont start .It all started…

Customer Question
Abs light is on...

Abs light is on .2003 bmw x5 4.4 wont start .It all started after trying to fix no reverse lights for brake and tail light inspection

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the bulbs? Have you checked the connection?

Yes the bulbs and connections where good

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your X5 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes Iam .so far got it pass smog .but has to pass brake and tail light inspection for tags.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

At this point there has been so many attemps to correct this issue Im stumped .

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: BMW
1/1/2018
BMW Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

There are many possible causes for a no start condition, especially depending on what is actually happening. It will require some electrical testing to determine exactly what is wrong. Not knowing what was done that appears to have caused this issue, I suspect there may be a transmission range sensor related issue if the starter isn't engaging.

What happens when trying to start the engine?

park and neutral light are not illuminated on the dash since the abs light came on..5th gear light only illuminated on dash....drove and.parked it in the drive way after failed brake and taillight inspection..had to remote start the starter and noted only had 5th gear so reverse gear to back on to jack stands.abs/brake light remain on "no start" ..Steering wheel hard over to right than hard over left cleared abs light.scan code po709 park and neutral light doesn't illuminate.Assuming its still in 5th gear mode and wont crank but able to remote start
can you give me an estimated time when I may get an answer

What was done to the vehicle directly before this problem started?

This vehicle just passed a smog inspection.Having adjusted the VANOS which cleared codes P2177 and P2179 .Took it in for a Calif brake and tail light inspection which it failed due to no back up lights.Im not sure if the shop I took it do did any adjustments there was no charge .it was after 5pm so they left the key on the floor board .Drove it 20 miles ..ABS light and code PO 709 checked all fuses wire s and connectors.

Your first post said that the problem started after trying to repair a problem with the reverse lamps.

that right than you ask what had been done prior.

I'm asking what was done directly before it stopped starting. You said something was done to try to repair reverse lights directly before it stopped starting.

if you read what Ive sent so far .that is what has been done.
This conversation is going no where.Im not happy with any of your answers which in fact have all been questions
So in the last 24 hours you have yet to give me a suitable answer .
At this time Im not even close to being %100 satisfied and will be requesting a total refund.

I've repeatedly read what you wrote and there is no mention of what was done to try to repair an issue with the reverse lamps, which you said is what caused the no start condition, which is why I have asked.

This is all that has been posted here, maybe you meant to post something that is not here.

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician