BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

08 bmw 128i convertible; battery completely dead, no lights,

Customer Question
08 bmw 128i convertible...

08 bmw 128i convertible; battery completely dead, no lights, no power, nothing. won't charge and cant get to it in the trunk. can't even jump start it

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

It was sitting in my garage for a little over a week, and haven't been able to start it never happened before

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 128i yourself? What have you tried so far?

I'm handy with bmw's; yes never had this problem

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's it - it's DEAD....

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: BMW
12/30/2017
BMW Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 7 months ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

A flat battery means you can't get the deadlock or alarm system to release its grip

I'd start by charging the battery you should be able to do this via the cigarette lighter / accessory socket. You'll need the appropriate attachment for your charger but car accessory shops sell these- Alternatively if you can't get into the car/ boot the other way to do this is jack the car up so you can get under the front.

Locate the starter motor and the large power cable that runs to it - connect the positive battery charger lead to this terminal

then connect the charger negative lead to the metal of the engine block

This should complete the charging circuit and get some power into the battery allowing you into the car

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt