BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

Yesterday driving my car and had a engine running hot light…

Customer Question
Yesterday driving my car...

Yesterday driving my car and had a engine running hot light up on dashboard. That was yellow and then it was red telling me shut off car engine hot. In August replaced the electric water pump. There is coolant in the car. What could this be?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?

No.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your BMW?

2006 530i

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 530i yourself? What have you tried so far?

Not mechanical . My sons say it’s the thermostats but I don’t know

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Could be the new water pump? I

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: BMW
12/30/2017
BMW Mechanic: FIXITMAN, Master Technician replied 6 months ago
FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Hello my name is***** the coolant level is good and if that water pump that was replaced is still functioning correctly then the most common failure is indeed the thermostat. If the gradually warms up until it starts to overheat then most of the time it is due to the thermostat not opening correctly. I would replace this first. If it gets hot very fast then that may be a more serious issue. I have also seen cooling fan problems with this car but if that was the case the car would not overheat when it is moving only while stopped or when in stop and go traffic. I hope this gives you some guidance on this. If you have any other questions please let me know as I strive for an excellent rating. Thank you and Happy New Year.
What is the cost to replace the thermostat
If you have a shop do it the cost is typically about $150-200 depending on their labor rate.
Thank you
Anytime. If you need anything else please let me know. Please rate my service when you have a chance as I strive for excellent ratings. Thank you.