BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

My wifes bmw 525xi has juice recognizes both fobs but it…

Customer Question
Ok my wifes bmw...

Ok my wifes bmw 525xi has juice recognizes both fobs but it just makes like a humming noise but wont crank over

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fob's battery?

No i havent but would it do that with both fobs

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your 525xi?

2006

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 525xi yourself? What have you tried so far?

Tried jumping it cause i figured battery was just low but i used it all day and now it just makes like a hum and a click but wont turn over

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: BMW
12/30/2017
BMW Mechanic: Steve, BMW Expert replied 6 months ago
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Humming noise as in the stater turning over or something else?
starter not turning over almost like a circuit braker kicking out
starter not turning over almost like a circuit breaker kicking out
starter not turning over almost like a circuit breaker kicking out.
BMW Mechanic: Marty, ASE Certified Technician replied 6 months ago
Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician

Hi, my name is***** humming you are hearing is most likely the starter motor humming. This model is notorious for a weak starter. If the jump start did not help you will probably need to replace the starter. There isn't much else that fails in the starter circuit on these cars. There are no circuit breakers in the starter circuit. To diagnose the problem the voltage to the starter motor will need to be tested when attempting to start the car. If there is battery voltage to the starter and it will not crank the motor it will need to be replaced.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Marty

could it be the ibs sensor cause what ive heard this can cause same issue im having

If the IBS was causing the no start you would not hear the starter motor humming. If the humming is coming from the driver's side of the motor the problem will be the starter motor.

You can disconnect the two small wires from the IBS and see if it cranks. If it does then the IBS is bad. If it doesn't, we are back to a faulty starter.

could it be the ibs sensor cause what ive heard this can cause same issue im havingthe hum isnt coming from starter motor its just not turning over

Not sure if you saw my last reply. You can disconnect the two small wires from the IBS and see if it cranks. If it does then the IBS is bad. If it doesn't, we are back to a faulty starter.