BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

I just got 2006 325xi. Har have problems. More then few. But…

Customer Question
Hello . I just got...
Hello . I just got 2006 325xi .
Har have problems . More then few .
But I would like to start with one bothers me most , coze it could be related problem .
It’s electrical issue .
I got the car with dead battary. Replaced with new one . No dash light are active . No rpm or gas gauge . I thought simple - fuse . Look online . 5amp fuse (58) In ok condition .
I dig a little bit deeper . Chek the voltage on pins where the fuse go . Top pin have 12 volts .
Then I was reading to chek pin 1 and 16 in odb2 Port - 16 have constant power . Pin 1 when ignition activated . At this point I am confused and not sure what to chek . I should mention main window switch in driver door does not work . May be it’s relaited .
I read online most of problem is fuse 58 when battery replaced . I got CAr like that so don’t know was this issue presented be4 or not .
One more thing I read online some guys have problem with module derectly under the fuse box . But I don’t want to go into buying parts before proper diagnostic . Any help would be grate .
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: BMW
Wbavd13586kv00490
Any one?
Whyle doing more reading came to conclusion it possible could be frm module.
So how would I be able to rest it ?
Answered in 1 day by:
12/31/2017
BMW Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 6 months ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

usually you can reset all the modules on the car by disconnecting the battery and short the two battery cables together for 10 mins with a clamp or bolt

however these car are prone to corroded fuse modules at the back of the engine bay so check that and yes the FRM module can also fail and produce these faults

this firm can repair the FRM at a fraction of the cost of replacement

https://www.speedofix.com/ecu-repair-details.htm

My goal is to give you the best advice that I can and I hope that I've helped today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting from the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave. If you need more help, use the reply box to let me know.
If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt

how do I test for faulty frm?
the second problem car runs on 3 cylinders . 1 у 3 don’t work and don’t have spark. Starting from radiator . I fill like way to unlikely could fail in perfect order. And assuming the frm have nothing to do with the spark I guess best bet will be to chek corrosion you talkin about
Any other ideaya why there wil be no spark of 1 2 3 ?
coroner fuse modules at the back of engine bay . Can u give me more ditailed location . And what i am looking for ?

hello

testing an frm is a bit difficult without specialist kit they are used to control lighting and windows around the vehicle

and you can even have the ridiculous situation where a blown bulb will result in the rest of the functionality being disabled and even replacing the bulb won't re-enable it

it then needs the services of an autologic tool (dealer kit) to reset it all....

the fuses I'm referring to are the small bank at the back

see this blog towards the end it shows the location and identification of each

http://knigaproavto.ru/shemy/en/bmw/3-series/358-2005-2010-bmw-3-e90-e91-e92-e93-fuse-box-diagram.html

where it says engine electronics fuses

for you to lose the 1st 3 cylinders then I'd say its very likely a wiring fault or possibly a ECU / DME fault

so I''d begin by checking the condition of the loom where it passes over the engine and it would also help to identify if you still have sparks on the 1st 3 cylinder or if you have spark then do you have injectors opening and closing?

check that the injectors are being operated by the ECU, its hard to hear them ‘clicking’ with back ground noise so if you use a screwdriver like a stethoscope with one end placed against the body of the fuel injector while your assistant cranks the engine
The injectors should ‘click’ as they are cycled on and off

I think I will use noid light for enjectors . But not sure how to chek if electricity go to coils .... and if coils spark plugs are fine . But look like this car needs the tine up any how - so going to order all new .
I do have some sort of bmw diagnostic tool set . Just never used it . I been told it’s similar to VCDS for audi . I will look in to it tomorrow and will post any presented codes / errors .
I assuming If there is no communication with FRM module than it toasted - correct ?
By the way thank you for help and Happy new year

if you have a noid light then so much the better

and yes to check a coil you check for spark

and yes if you can't get any comms with the FRM with the right tool its usually damaged and its best to get in touch with the firm I mentioned a few posts ago

I installed my bmw INPA software , and I able to communicate with frm ( I have 2 options frm 03-07 no communication )
But just FRM I got respons.
It was multiple errors inside . Problem it’s all German . So I used translator and nothing saing frm is defective . Just few lights out . No errors for dash - wich is weird , I was able to run rear windows up and down true program . But not the front ones . At this poin I confused if my frm is defected or not
Plus not sure how to change it to English . All menus are english , but any module all German - really hard to understand

hello

you should be able fully programme the FRM if you can get communication with it

I'd say that there may be a wiring fault to the FRM though?

I'd suggest the next step is to contact the FRM repair firm to see if they can shed any light

and if you reset the FRM then this is worth trying

Just spoke with a guy from a link u send me , so hi told me - his service is only for frm 3 wich is from 2009 to 2011 .
And my car is 2006 so most likely it won’t frm 3 there hi is not able to help .
But what he also told me - if I able to communicate with frm than most likely it’s just a coding issue . So will c if I can fine info on how to code frm .

This may help

FRM Coding IN
1. Flash the FRM to get the VIN changed
2. Update the VO in NCSExpert
3. Put the module back to factory default in NCS EXPERT
4. Change the date

and this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzjGPy_kLm4

Alright finally get my hand dirty - was running insa + and in file attached one is first scan and then after all errors was deleted
Also I was able run front windows up true program its really good coze its down poring whole day here
Also I found problem with driver mirror and I was reading somewhere that could couse main window switch to fail . so I have to physically unplug mirror and then pug it back - wondering if u ever herd of problem like that .
please let me know what u think about error list I provide
looking at this errors we have problem with Kombi module - wich is actual instrument claster
then we have problem with phone module - don't think it exist in this car
and best of it is this MOSTSYS: MOST ring break so there is problem with optic fiber I assume . now I am not sure where to start - should I order used instrument claster or there is a chance to test it some how - used one like 50 $ with similar miles
what part number thou .
that's what in the description
Condition for fault identification Terminal 15 onPRD status: DrivingPRD status: LivingNote: The designations of the terminal status and/or PRD statuses apply depending on the vehicle electrical system.
is terminal 15 fuse relay module - could it be foulty ?

sorry to say that I don't have this information

I'll have to opt out and open this up to others

good luck with it

Any one ?