BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

I cannot get my rear suspension to air up on my 2008 bmw x5.

Customer Question
I cannot get my...

I cannot get my rear suspension to air up on my 2008 bmw x5

Mechanic's Assistant: How has the ride been lately? Have you noticed any fluid under the car?

No

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your X5 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Put new bags on it both of the old ones were shot but it just won’t air back up now

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: BMW
12/29/2017
BMW Mechanic: peterpete190, Auto Technician replied 6 months ago
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Usually, the control unit/ecu will set a fault code with the old air bags leaking or defective and this can disable the suspension from operating even after a repair has been done to correct the issue.What has to be done is to have the fault codes cleared out using a compatible scan tool or computer plugged into your model vehicle that can read the suspension control unit/ecu.Once this is done the suspension should start to operate properly again.In some cases, the scan tool also has to perform a level calibration after the codes are cleared out for the system to operate properly.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Hi, just checking in to see how things are going. Do you need further assistance?

Do you think this is a pump issue or just that the code needs to be overridden.

That is a 50/50 chance of it just needing the codes cleared out or the pump has a fault.I have seen some pumps burn out when there was an air bag fault which is now fixed, as the pump runs continuously to try and air up the leaking or damaged bags it can damage itself.But usually, on this new of a model, the pump will time out when the vehicle is not lifting like it should to prevent damage to itself so all that may be needed here is to have the fault codes cleared out with a fully compatible scan tool to allow it to operate again.I would start with having the codes cleared out to see if this resolves the issue here.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time, this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5-star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Ok i was also going to ask if there are any other common issues with the 08 x5 4.8i that i should be aware of or keep an eye on?

Their arent any big issues I am aware of on your model.You want to make sure you keep it maintained properly with fluids changed and check overs as required by the service manual.The transmission and shifter were some issues on these but that doesn't mean you will see any actual issues on your model.

As long as you keep it maintained properly and have it checked over around twice a year ( full inspection) then it should last you a long time.

Thanks Pete

I sometimes notice a hard shift from 2nd to 3rd is that common? I looked up the issue and it said it needed the software update to make it shift smoother.

There is a software update a dealer can check to see if yours needs and perform for shift harshness and issues.I have also seen where debris builds up in the transmission valve body can cause this as well so I would have the software update checked and performed and if this does not resolve the issue you may need the fluid changed out/flushed to resolve this issue.

Thanks Pete

What are your thoughts on the newer x5’s? Better than my generation any flaws? Common problems? I’m thinking about upgrading.

If you are speaking of newer then the 2008 then they are a better model with allot of the kinks and quirks worked out.I usually try and let customers know it's a good idea to purchase a model that is built at a later date.Meaning instead of buying the first or second year built model vehicle buy that model at one of its end-year dates or current date this way most of the problems have been worked out on them already and you usually see fewer issues.

Thanks Pete

What would you recommend for an after market exhaust system for my 08?

If your looking for a performance set up for your model Magna flow makes a good kit.

http://www.bimmerworld.com/Exhaust/Cat-Backs/Magnaflow-Cat-Back-Exhaust-04-08-BMW-645-650.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3sy95My52AIVWJR-Ch2WVg58EAQYAyABEgKQcPD_BwE

Thanks Pete

If my pump is burned up. Would the wiring to the pump be shot also
Could you find me a rear suspension conversion kit to a strut shock option? I’m tired of messing around with these mine is a 2008 BMW X5 4.8i sport

The wiring would usually be o.k. as the pump being burned out is usually internal to the pump itself.

Unfortunately, I was unable to locate a rear suspension kit on your model here.In some cases, you can speak with a repair/modify facility in your area and they may have some options on hand or know where to get this kit themselves.I apologize and wish I had more info on this here.

Thanks Pete