BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

2013 bmw 325i xdrive after jump start neighbor car now don’t…

2013 bmw 325i xdrive...

2013 bmw 325i xdrive after jump start neighbor car now don’t start

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

Nope they arent

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your BMW 325I yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I am

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Check all fuse

12/28/2017
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
hi how can I help you with this? What was your specific question?
I’m working on a client 2013 bmw 328i and she told me that she used it to jump a neighbor car and now it does start. So she had it tow over to my garage and I check all the fuse and them seem to be okay.. I notice the check engine light was on so I scan it.. and it had 18 trouble code.. usually if it was a Toyota or lexus and it try to start many time I would get a strong odor of fuel but some how I’m not getting any odor of fuel from this bmw.. are you able to help?
I also heard that the ibs sensor are known to open when the battery had a high current or voltage.. can that be possible?
I am able to answer questions, but I am not sure what help it is you are seeking?
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
How do I test the IBS sensor?
I’m seeking to get this bmw starting up and running. As of now it’s not running since it was use to jump another car.

you need a bmw scan tool to test the ibs. at this point I would suggest normal checks for spark, fuel pressure and power at the fuel pump

Ok.. do you know where I can access the fuel pump?
Do you know what can cause the ibs to fail?

the fuel pump is under the rear seat.

the ibs can fail for any reason, they go bad randomly all the time, just by chance.

If the ibs fail, would the car still be able to run? Also where is the fuel pump relay located?

the ibs does not normally cause the car to not start. the fuel pump relay is behind the rear seat upper right side

Would we still have power to the vehicle if the ibs fail? Like dash light? And radio and nav?

the ibs is just the batter sensor. yes everything would still work... are you refrring to the bst?

Is there a way to test the bst? Also what would cause the bst to fail? And what does the bst monitor?

the bst is the battery disconnect that goes off in an accident. this would prevent the car from starting. you can check it physically to see if it looks like its separated, otherwise, you need a bmw scan tool to test (as with pretty much everything on a bmw - it is all proprietary)

then the bst would fail from using the to jump start another car? Correct?

I didn't say that... ? it is designed to go off in an accident. could it be damaged from giving a jump? possibly. I've never seen it myself.

you were asking about the ibs that only monitors the battery, I thought perhaps you were talking about the bst as that is a part that could prevent the car from starting, but I never connected that to your present situation.

Okay.. so then the ibs can not prevent the car from starting but if the bst fail that would cause the car from not being able to start? Correct?

yes the bst would prevent the car from starting

How much are those bst and if the bst fail does it engage any trouble shooting codes?
About $450. If voltage is low all kinds of codes can be thrown.