BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

2000 BMW 328I hazard lights came on by themselves after

Customer Question
2000 BMW 328I hazard...

2000 BMW 328I hazard lights came on by themselves after water was spilled on the switch so I was pulling fuses one at a time while the car was running so I could drive the car home. While pulling each fuse and reinstalling one at a time the car shut off. After replacing the fuses the car will on start but will crank. I checked all the fuses with an ohm meter and they are good. The car will not start with starting fluid sprayed directly in the throttle body.

Mechanic's Assistant: Most vehicles have two fuse panels. Have you located both?

I think so, one in the glove box and one under the hood on the driver side (had 4 fuse all checked good)

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '00 BMW?

2000 BMW 328I

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, trying to repair myself as I have very little money. I have checked all the fuses (all good) and tried spraying starting fluid into the throttle body while cranking the engine. The engine seems to crank a little faster than normal but will not start. This car has almost 300K on the original drive train.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I replaced the fuel pump relay with a new one.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: BMW
2000 BMW 328I 300K on power train. Hazzard lights would not turn off so I was pulling fuses one at a time while the car was running in order to drive the car home. When I pulled one of the fuses (think it was a 30amp) the car stalled no the car only cranks but will not start. I've checked all the fuses (including the four under the hood on the LH driver side cowl area) and they are good. The car will not start with starting fluid sprayed into the throttle body while cranking. I replaced the fuel pump relay under the glove box.
I recently changed the engine oil with Mobile1 synthetic oil, afterwards the oil light comes illuminates on occasion but goes out after the engine rpm's go up over idle, the light will stay out then. The gasoline level in the tank is full.
12/26/2017
BMW Mechanic: Marty, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician

Hi, my name is*****'m wondering if you may have removed a fuse and placed it back in the wrong slot. Check the fuse box and see if fuse 9, 29 and 54 are installed.

Let me know what you find.

Hi, just checking in. Did you get this sorted out?

sir, amazing thank you for your help, you were correct! Merry christmas

Excellent! I'm glad you got it squared away.

If you would please take a moment to rate my service I would appreciate it.

Marty