BMW

BMW Questions? Ask a BMW Repair Expert for Answers.

BMW

The cabin heater in my 2015 X3 only blows lukewarm air. At…

Hi Steve, The cabin heater in...
Hi Steve,
The cabin heater in my 2015 X3 only blows lukewarm air. At first I thought the car took a long time to warm up this morning. It was parked outside all night but eventually warmed up to around 200-210 (per guestimate on gauge) so I don't think it is the thermostat. Both the inlet and outlet hoses to the heater core seem warm. I ran out of time and could not try playing with the controls to see if there is an air blending issue. Thoughts?
12/25/2017
Matt, Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

Its possible that an air blend door isn't moving correctly due to a stuck actuator or bro***** *****nkage but there's also a couple of other faults

if the airflow is low then 1st consider replacing the pollen filter and its also possible the interior temp sensor

The interior temp sensor is subject to a different type of attack, from dirt and dust being drawn into the control panel by a small aspirator fan see image that is attached to the control panel. Often, where no other component failures are found, just cleaning the inlet of the panel, or removing the faceplate and cleaning the sensor, will restore operation

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Matt. Thanks for the reply. My X3 has dual climate control so it seems unlikely that both temperature sensors would have gone bad simultaneously. Sorry for delayed response. I wanted to drive the car again to see how oil temp behaved. It spent the night in the garage but the gauge still took a very long time to move up and even at that it did not go beyond about 195 to 200 degrees for the entire***** So I am back to thinking that it is indeed the thermostat. Also played with the HVAC controls and it does switch over to air conditioning so the actuator appears to be functional. I have an infrared thermometer on order that will be here tomorrow (I need one anyway) and want to compare the temps on the hoses to and from the heater core. My X3 is a 4-cylinder 2.8. The thermostat appears to be in the front of the engine and accessible. Is this a relatively straightforward process. I think in the 6-cylinder the water pump may have to be removed....and at the frigid temps we have for at least the next several days there is no way I am doing that. But the thermostat on my 4-cylinder seems pretty straightforward.

OK thanks for the update

I'd agree that the thermostat should be able to be replaced without moving the water pump, see the attached diagram for how its fitted and the BMW part numbers

Matt, Engineer
Matt, Engineer