BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

Car wont go more than 2000rpm. 1999 523i auto. Ifix it

Customer Question
Car wont go more...

Car wont go more than 2000rpm

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your BMW?

1999 523i auto

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Ifix it myself and cleaned the maf

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: BMW
THE CAR DID NOT WANTED TO REV UP OVER 2000RPM,I TOOK IT FOR A DRIVE AFTER A WHILE IT STARTED TO REV UP,THEN PARKED AND WHEN I RESTARTED IT DID NOT WANT TO REV UP AGAIN.
12/24/2017
BMW Mechanic: Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems replied 7 months ago
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you,I will try to help you with this issue

did you scan ,what are the fault codes , maf will cause that if bad but also several orther issue if car going in limp mode

If you do not mind me asking ,are you looking at fixing this yourself or looking to know the most possible cause of this issue and taking it to repair shop for the work ?

Do you have any prior experience in electrical troubleshooting and testing with a test light for power & ground ?

Do have a power probe for testing ?

Do you have a test light so we can check for spark ?

Do you have fuel pressure tester to check for fuel ?

Did you scan it with factory scanner or equivalent to retrieve faults codes for vehicle modules ?

please let me know

Good Day Chad
Yes,Iam looking to fix this myself and has experience in electrical trouble shooting and if neede I will be able to source the testing equipment.I would just like you to point out the most possible cause and how to fix it.
Thanx John
Good Day Chad
Yes I am looking to fix this myself and has experience in electrical trouble shooting and if needed I will be able to source the testing equipment.I would just like you to point out the most possible cause and how to fix it.
Thanks John

ok , got you ,

the maf , sensor will do that ,

if you get a scanner that reads live data ,pull up the fuel trim short and long term and see if they are not within 5 to 7 % - or +

pull up maf sensor reading and go down the rd and look at the air flow when it changes gears from 3rd to od ,does the grams per second peak out pass 200

next will cause and common is yiur tb body , take it out and clean it for carbon build up on the tb plate not closing all the way

now if the transmission is causing it , that you will need a scaner to retrieve faults from tcm module

off course check all vacuum lines for been broken , cracked causing enough leak where the computer can not adjust a/f ratio

to do that you need a smoke machine be best or use starting fluid spray around intake and all vacuum lines when engine running at idle and see if rpm surges up ,if it does u have a leak

now the computer also since it is a 1999 could be the issue if maf is good and it not adjusting,that will set a fault in memory ,capable scanner can retrieve it from pending or history files

fuel pressure needs to be checked for specs

any misfires, plugs checked ?

you have to start here and go from there

You are very welcome :)

Please Read Below How to Get Back in touch with Me

Please Take a Second and Click the Stars at the Top of Your Screen To Rate Me , So I May Receive my Credit , A 5 Stars Rating is Much Appreciated

Follow Up Questions are Included in The Price of Your Question ,So Feel Free To Ask Me.

Please Keep in Mind that when you Rate Me , it Does Not End our Conversation.

You Can Always Come Back to this Conversation and Ask Me any Follow up Question you May have on this Issue

(You can Copy this Link Page & Paste it in your Browser when Ready and it will Open up our Conversation Again)

or there should be a Tab on your Screen to Add me As Your Favorite Expert

I'm Online Daily from 7 Am Till Late Eastern Time Zone

Thank You
Chad Farhat