BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

2010 BMW X5 got a lighting malfunction after a batterry

Customer Question
2010 BMW X5 got...

2010 BMW X5 got a lighting malfunction after a batterry drain.... any fixes

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool?

No trouble code showing

Mechanic's Assistant: I'll pass this info along to the BMW Mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. Are you fixing your X5 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I just got t back from a AAA authorized shop had a battery drain and radiator reservoir repair... they cleared 4x4, brake malfunctions but light malfunction still there.... no turn signals, brights, nor alarm... would like to try myself

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I think that is about it

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: BMW
12/23/2017
BMW Mechanic: Steve, BMW Expert replied 9 months ago
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
hi can you please clarify your question? did you want to know possible causes?
With the lighting malfunction there is no turn signal, no windows no alarm no internal lighting no emergency flashers… yes would like to know causes and or fix if possible.

Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you

all lighting on the vehicle is controlled by the footwell module.
if lighting is malfucntioning, it is likely a problem with the footwell module, which will require reprogramming and/or replacement to correct.
if you have not checked fuses, I would do that just in case, but beyond this the next step will be a fault scan with a facotry bmw scan tool to determine the exact nature of the issue
the bmw database shows fuse 23, 33 and 34 as the relevant fuses to check, but I would also refernce your own fuse card.
you can also try unhooking the battery for an hour to reboot the system - a bit of a long shot but can clear out a glitch from time to time

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

Did you have additional questions?