BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

Whenever I turn off and exit my 2011 Mini, the driver's

Customer Question
Whenever I turn off...

Whenever I turn off and exit my 2011 Mini, the driver's window drops an inch or so, no matter what I try to do to keep it in place. It is 12 degrees in Iowa this AM and my window is down. Snow has blown in. Why does it do this and how can I make the window stay up? I read something about a child safety feature but I cannot manage to override the drop in the window.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your MINI yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have done every type of manipulation of the window button, before turning off the engine, after, holding it for 5 seconds, talking to the thing. Once in a while it stays up, but not with any regularity.

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?

Manual transmission, 62.000 miles, and I love it, except for the window.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: BMW
12/22/2017
BMW Mechanic: Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician replied 4 months ago
Jaybird61
Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician

Hi, My name is Jay

Have you tried to do a window opening reset? Try this procedure sitting in drivers seat with doors closed.

Here is the procedure.
1. Sit in the car, and put the key in position 1, so you have power to the windows.
2. Push and hold down the window switch, and keep it held down for 5-30 seconds after the window is all the way down. This resets the memory
3. Roll window back up, and release switch.

If after the first reset then try this one.

Insert the keys and turn on the ignition. It does not matter whether you start the car or not.

Put the window all the way up (if you are able).

Press and hold the window switch in the up position for 10 or more seconds. Do this with the door closed.

Open the door to make sure the window drops as it should. Close the door to make sure it goes back up again.

Roger, BMW Master Tech