BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

I have a 2012 mini and the half engine light just came on DO…

Customer Question
I have a 2012...

I have a 2012 mini cooper and the half engine light just came on DO you know what that means

Mechanic's Assistant: Has your vehicle stalled? Has anyone run a diagnostic test to pull the trouble code?

The vehicle has not stalled, but is ideling a bit hard

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your MINI yourself? What have you tried so far?

Literally just came on a few minutes ago

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No that is all

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: BMW
12/21/2017
BMW Mechanic: Edward, Service Technician replied 7 months ago
Edward
Edward, Service Technician

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

Hello Eddie...

The problem is the engine computer has a code stored in it. Could be a number of things, but with only half the light, it means you can still drive it, as long as it isn't red or blinking, you can still drive the vehicle, it is likely an emissions code, Double check your gas cap and the oring inside of the cap that seals it. Make sure it's on correctly and tight. Then I would recommend getting it scanned at a local auto parts store if you don't have a scan tool, Depending on what code is stored, it may need plugs, or coil packs are common to cause misfire, how many miles are on it roughly? thank you.

ok thank you...this is actually for my fiancés mini cooper....she just advised me that the half engine light went away and is no longer lit up

Alright, it may have just been the gas cap then, and putting fuel in it you would inadvertently fix it if it was installed back correctly, and not cross threaded, but to be on the safe side, I would have her stop by a local auto parts store and get it scanned, see what codes are stored, if no codes are stored you are good to go, but if there are any codes stored, you could then address those after knowing what they are. There are literally 100 reasons it can come on, so the first step is having it scanned to help narrow it down. Let us know if you have any further questions. Thank you!

Ok will do. Thank you very much.
BMW Mechanic: Steve, BMW Expert replied 7 months ago
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
hi, what is the vin of the vehicle?