BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

It is blowing up a lot smoke. Firs of all. 108,235 on it.

Customer Question
It is blowing up...

It is blowing up a lot smoke

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Have you been losing oil or coolant?

Good morning firs of all.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your BMW?

108,235 on it.

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your BMW?

2005

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

X5

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, that is all. So kind.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: BMW
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/21/2017
BMW Mechanic: Edward, Service Technician replied 7 months ago
Edward
Edward, Service Technician

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

Can you tell me if the smoke is coming out of the exhaust pipe? or from under the hood? Also, is it blue or black or white smoke? thank you.

muffler, I believe is exhaust pipe. The smoke is kind of blue.
I really don't know what kind it is.

Alright, if it's coming out of the exhaust pipe and it's bluish, then that is oil, I would check the oil frequently if you do plan to drive it. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but usually when this happens it is because a turbo charger is leaking internally, there are oil lines that go to the turbo to keep it lubricated when driving, and internal seals that seal the oil from being blown into the engine via the turbo charger outlet. If these seals leak, oil gets blown into the engine along with the air the turbo charger forces in. I believe you will need to either rebuild or replace the turbo charger to fix the problem. Let us know if you have any further questions. Thank you and best wishes.

BMW Mechanic: Steve, BMW Expert replied 7 months ago
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Hi, new expert here, this vehicle does not have a turbo. Is this an 8 cyl or 6 cyl model?
when does the smoke occur? by chance is it when pulling away after idle?

I'm sorry, I saw that 2005 and thought it said 09, I need my eyes checked! yes, it is non turbo. I will opt out. Sorry for the confusion.

did you require further assistance?