BMW

BMW Questions? Ask a BMW Repair Expert for Answers.

BMW

My 2011 e93 m3 has developed a vibration which becomes very…

Customer Question
My 2011 e93 m3...

My 2011 e93 m3 has developed a vibration which becomes very evident at 1500 - 2000 rpm, smooths somewhat and again above 3000 rpm. I feel the vibration though my feet (both kick and accellerator.) Along with the vibration, i sense operation is much louder, less refined, almost like a droning resonance. I took the car into the BMW dealer who drove it, updated the software and gave it back to me saying all was solved. Since then, I feel the vibration has worsened. Otherwise, the car runs, shfits perfectly -- 75,000 km, 7-speed dual clutch -- and so I am wondering if the harmonic balancer may be the issue?

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?

No I don't think so, shifts perfectly

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

No warning liights, nor codes

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: BMW
12/17/2017
BMW Mechanic: Steve, BMW Expert replied 2 months ago
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
hi, how can I help you with this? did you want to know if the balancer could be the issue?
this is a recent vibration, which seems to be getting worse (after the dealership advised of no issue after updating “software”) but I find it hard to believe as it appears to be a rotational issue. I feel a vibration so noticeable through the accelerator peddle and left footrest that it causes numbness in my feet after a time. You can’t notice much if any resonance until the engine speed is increased from idle through 1500 – 2000 rpm and then the resonance settles somewhat, before getting worse again above 3000+ (I feel.) I also hear (sense) that the car is louder – a kind droning sound accompanying the vibration? Otherwise engine runs well, car shifts well and otherwise drives well. I thought it might be worn U-joint or motor mount, but dealership visually checked the drivetrain and suspension while on the hoist. Car only has 75000km and not driven to its potential -- would you think it would be harmonic balancer or flywheel or ...? Shouldn’t these last items last a lot longer (forever?) Your thoughts would be appreciated --what have you experienced?
Roger, BMW Master Tech