BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

2010 BMW 535i with an engine light that comes on and off…

2010 BMW 535i with an...
2010 BMW 535i with an engine light that comes on and off sporadically. 100k miles. Fault codes are 29E1 and P1074. I think the Engine idles a little rougher when the MIL light is on. Smoother when MIL is off. Have had the issue for a while and can’t track it down. I tried blasting the intake ports and the light went off for a couple months but then came back. No other fault codes appear.
12/16/2017
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Hello and welcome,

My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.
What is the last 7 of the vin?
C167795

is the code p1074 or p0174?

My bad P0174 - Fuel System Too Lean (Bank 2). I have a used Verus Pro diagnostic tool that enables me to look at quite a bit, but I’m not a professional mechanic. Just The car owner who likes serious DIY projects. Diagnosing this one is beyond me.

what have you checked or tried specifically so far? just the blasting?

Looked for vacuum leaks by spraying water around the manifold, throttle body, vacuum hoses, etc. confirmed high and low fuel pressure sensor outputs looked in range at all engine speeds. Cleaned the MAP sensor and confirmed it respond well to the throttle. Did not see any obvious leaks or cracks in the intake manifold when I did the intake port blast.

Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you

codes point to a lean running condition, most commonly an intake leak or failed crankcase ventilation system.

I would suggest having the intake smoked to verify there are no leaks, and also checking for a failed crankcase ventilation system but removing the oil cap with engine running - high suction or weird noises under the cap indicate a ccv issue.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.

What is the proper crank pressure at idle and higher speed? I could probably look at that through the oil cap with some kind of adapter.

vac should be 9 mBar +/- 10%. Please do not forget to click a positive rating

Steve
Steve, BMW Expert