BMW

BMW Questions? Ask a BMW Repair Expert for Answers.

BMW

1997 BMW 328i - issue with radio, heat airconditioning etc -

Customer Question
1997 BMW 328i -...

1997 BMW 328i - issue with radio, heat airconditioning etc - all work intermittently

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant level? Has there been any leaking from the hoses?

What would that have to do with electrical

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '97 BMW?

328i convertible

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Convertible yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing - just want to know what could be wrong with that console that controls heat, fans, radio, etc.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: BMW
12/14/2017
BMW Mechanic: Steve, BMW Expert replied 2 months ago
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
can you please detail exactly what does and does not work?
Intermittently radio heat air fan etc. Sometimes they work sometimes not or one works and other does not basically all electronics for center console that control mom essential electronics except when u need them

is it only the radio and climate module, or anything else?

and when the radio goes out, what does that mean? the radio goes dark? the radio is still on but you don't hear sound?

same with the climate... does the panel go dark? does the fan go off?

please be as specific as possible.

Everything shuts off including lights that designate them being on.

but it is only two components? climate panel and radio?

No it has a lot of other components why don't you Google a picture of the console of a 1997 BMW 328I with the radio the fans the air conditioning the defrost all that stuff temperature control fan control all works intermittently I don't know how else to tell you I mean is there a motherboard that controls all this is there something

I wont need to google a picture, I owned this car for 5 years.
fans, air conditioning, defrost - this is all part of the climate panel that I mentioned and was trying to get you to confirm that this and the radio is all that is out since you said "etc" in your first post and I don't know what etc refers to...
I am going to go ahead and opt out of your question, perhaps another expert can assist.

BMW Mechanic: Marty, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 months ago
Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician

Hi, different expert here. My name is***** the on board computer below the climate control also turn off when this happens or is it just the radio and the climate control panel? Does anything else in the car turn off. The more information you can give me the better as it helps me trace the common circuits on the wiring diagram. Can you also post the last 7 digits of your vin number for me?

It's pretty much everything around the climate control that's haphazard the radio the temperature controls air conditioning the CD player the fan controls pretty much every button on there doesn't work most of the time and then sometimes they do work it's very hard to explain you'll be driving down the road and the radio all the sudden will come on the temperature will show 72 degrees and that the heat is on and then you turn the car off and nothing else works nothing shuts off in the car that's needed to run it all the windows work all the other electronics work it's basically as you said everything around the climate control including the audio system

Ok, I will need your vin number to look up the correct wiring diagrams for your car.

Roger, BMW Master Tech