BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

Sorry for not following up with you on my 2000 BMW 540i

Customer Question
Hey Cesar, Sorry for not following...
Hey Cesar,
Sorry for not following up with you on my 2000 BMW 540i Touring starting issue after timing chain guides and chain replacement. I had a family emergency and had to be out of town for a few days. The current situation is the car now starts and runs well at start (higher starting RPM) but idles at just over 500 RPM and a bit rough. I checked for codes and Check Control CE. I am missing some pixels in the annunciator display . Your help would be appreciated.
***** *****
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: BMW
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/14/2017
BMW Mechanic: Steve, BMW Expert replied 7 months ago
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
hi what kind of help are you seeking with this?
BMW Mechanic: Cesar Jimenez,
 replied 7 months ago
Cesar Jimenez

hi carl sorry just read my email.

BMW Mechanic: Cesar Jimenez,
 replied 7 months ago

which codes did you pull??

Hey Cesar,
Thanks for responding. I finally realized the Check CE that came up on the annunciator on the instrument cluster was Check Engine. The check engine light did come on briefly when I was able to start the engine but is now off. Probably a stored alert which needs to be cleared. The engine starts but runs roughly a bit but smooths out as the engine warms. I have added a container of Liqui Moly Fuel Injector Cleaner to the fuel tank thinking a fuel injector may be partial clogged. I have checked all the vacuum lines and found no leaks or issues. I have test driven the car and I think it will out run my 2009 650i now. I would appreciate any ideas you might have on the rough idle at start.
Carl
BMW Mechanic: Cesar Jimenez,
 replied 7 months ago

check the coolant sensor. when coolant sensor is reading wrong it will have cold start and cold idle problems. when the car reaches normal operating temp it smoothes out

BMW Mechanic: Cesar Jimenez,
 replied 7 months ago

also do not erase code. try to read and see what it is. even though the check engine is not illuminated there can still be a code stored.

BMW Mechanic: Cesar Jimenez,
 replied 7 months ago

hi just checking up on you. please rate me on my services. thank you and happy holidays

Hey Cesar,
Thank you for your help. I have resolved all the idle issues with with my 2000 540iTouring. Idle is smoother and the performance is noticeably better. Cesar, would you happen to know of a reputable company which does Pixell repairs for the instrument cluster and other applications you might recommend?
Again, thanks for your help.
***** *****
BMW Mechanic: Cesar Jimenez,
 replied 7 months ago
Hi I have no knowledge but try to look at BMW forums they might be some help
BMW Mechanic: Cesar Jimenez,
 replied 7 months ago

also check on ebay they might sell the instrument panel display. thank you and please rate me on my services. and any questions please ask. happy holidays