BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

My brake light is a constant yellow, my abs light is on,

Customer Question
My brake light is...

My brake light is a constant yellow, my abs light is on, there is a green triangle in the middle of the cluster and the steering wheel controls do not work at all

Mechanic's Assistant: Is it just the ABS light? Or is the brake system warning light on, too?

Both

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your BMW?

03 325xi

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 325xi yourself? What have you tried so far?

Im just starting to diagnose

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I know i need to put new pads on all 4 wheels

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: BMW
12/13/2017
BMW Mechanic: peterpete190, Auto Technician replied 9 months ago
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.

With these lights coming on this indicates the anti lock brake computer has detected a fault with one of the anti lock brake components.What has to be done is to have a compatible scan tool or computer plugged into your vehicles data port to then see what codes are set then those codes diagnosed to then locate and repair the fault here.This wont be worn brake pads or rotors.This may be something like a wheel speed sensor at fault or steering angle sensor or another sensor at fault.There are several sensors/components that can cause this issue here which is why the codes do need read out to help in locating the issue.A local dealer or shop can read out, diagnose and repair this for a fee.A local parts store can usually read out fault codes at no charge to you and can give you an idea of what is at fault.

If the steering controls failed the same time these lights came on this may very well be a fault with a steering angle sensor needing replaced.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here.A 5 star rating is appreciated and leaving this rating will not close out your question as we can continue as much as needed here.

Thanks Pete