BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

It’s actually a 2001 bmw. Any chance you could help? 325ci…

Customer Question
Hi, it’s actually a...

Hi, it’s actually a 2001 bmw. Any chance you could help?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '01 BMW?

325ci E46

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 325ci yourself? What have you tried so far?

Here’s what’s going on:

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Started it and ran fine this morning, and upon returning, saw battery light on. Turned car off for a moment and upon trying to restart, everything is fine EXCEPT the starter will not actuate AT ALL.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tested the battery? Have you tried testing the alternator?

Tested battery and it’s also charging now.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: BMW
12/12/2017
BMW Mechanic: Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems replied 7 months ago
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you,I will try to help you with this issue

how did you test that battery ,under load ,using voltmter is it holding the 12 volts

did it start charging again and battery light went away on its own ?

Master reset Procedure

1- Disconnect Battery Cables ( Negative & Positive Cables )you can use any electrical wire as an extension if battery cables don't reach .the reason we do that is to take any residual power in the wiring harness to try to reset the modules ,and there will be no spark created touching them since we took battery power source out of the loop by taking both cables off

2- Hold cables Together for 60 secs ,then let go

3- Wait 30 minutes

4- Make sure all doors are closed

5- Reconnect battery Cables

6- Lock & unlock the vehicles using the key from driver door side (if you have a key fob with no blade key, just lock & unlock using the key fob buttons)

7- Enter the vehicle and attempt to start

lets start here and we go from there

THANks. I’m trying that’s now. We’ll know More in 30 minutes.
You are very welcome :)
Please Read Below How to Get Back in touch with Me
Please Take a Second and Click the Stars at the Top of Your Screen To Rate Me , So I May receive My
my Credit , A 5 Stars Rating is Much Appreciatted
Follow Up Questions are Included in The Price of Your Question ,So Feel Free To Ask Me.
Please Keep in Mind that when you Rate Me , it Does Not End our Conversation.
You Can Always Come Back to this Conversation and Ask Me any Follow up Question you May have on this Issue
(You can Copy this Link Page & Paste it in your Browser when Ready and it will Open up our Conversation Again)
or there should be a Tab on your Screen to Add me As Your Favorite ExpertI'm Online Daily from 7 Am Till Late Eastern Time Zone
Thank You
Chad Farhat
Didn’t work at all, I’m afraid. :((
I m sorry at this time you need to have it scaned with Bmw a sneer that can read anti theft modules fault and post them back here for me,with out that it will be a guess
Make sure battery key fob battery good
Try other key , if any of door lock does not work the anti theft will stay triggered on