BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

Here you go

Ok here you go...
Ok here you go
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/12/2017
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert

Hello and welcome,

My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.

have you checked voltage?

battery is new and registered
is the Alternator
Have you seen anything like this
Forgot to mention there are some ABS codes should we leave them to later

I have not seen this subset of codes and there isn't really enough in those codes to definitively diagnose the underlying issue unfortunately. if voltage has been checked and is good and steady, there isn't anything else obvious I could point to for these codes other than possible the oil sensor or ibs or dme could be faulty.

How would I determine if the IBS is bad

you would normally run the test plans as detailed within the bmw diagnosis system, there aren't manual tests to make.

Do you have these test plans

they are only available within the bmw diagnosis system, bmw does not publish them or make any trouble shooting info available outside of its dealer network via this diagnosis system.

No offense but this is not the answer I was expecting. Can I be connected to another BMW expert please
I can’t really control what is available to share or not. I will opt out of your question. If anyone else is able to help they will reply.
Ok thank you
Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician

Hi, different expert here. My name is***** test plan for the IBS just calls for inspecting the connections. Make sure the plugs are connected and that you have 12V on the red wire. It's easy to disturb the connections at the IBS when replacing the battery. If everything is properly connected I would try a hard reset on the electrical system by disconnecting the battery cables and connecting the two cables together for 5 minutes. If the codes return I would replace the IBS. The BMW test plan is below.

Thank you Marty for your response. Let me fill you in on all the codes because Steve and I were talking in a different forum and he requested I start a new question.

Can these codes be erased?

the first one to come instantly is the oil level sensor.
I did the hard rest and have 12 volts at the IBS wire
Still nothing

First I would inspect the connections at the IBS. Next, at the oil level sensor, check the BSD wire, voltage supply and oil level sensor ground for open circuits. If all checks good I'd go ahead and replace the level sensor and see if the other codes return.

Question, did you use an OEM alternator?

the customer took the car to the dealership and they replaced alternator and registered an AGM battery
I took a voltage measurement from the alternator and I am getting a consistent 14.3 volts
I was looking at the wiring diagram and see three of these codes are on the same circuit
Would one defective item shut down the BSD communication

Yes it would. You can try disconnecting the oil level sensor and see if the other codes return.

Ok I will do that in the morning

Ok, keep me posted.

Ok disconnected the oil level sensor all codes return

Plug the oil sensor back in and disconnect the alternator and see what you get.

Ok
Ok disconnected alternator and I am able to check oil now and now I get only two codes

It would seem to point to a faulty alternator. Reconnect the alternator and disconnect the green BSD wire at the IBS and see what you have for codes.

You should be able to just unplug it.

That was the first thing I did all the codes came back

I'm thinking bad alternator.

That’s I’m thinking
I think this customer is putting aftermarket alternators
This vehicle should take only oem correct?

Gotta use OEM or Bosch or Valeo.

Now I have to deal with the customer he said he replaced the alternator twice
I think he’s putting in junky alternators
From my understanding these alternators are not standard but smart alternators is that correct

I'd insist on your alternator. Let him return the defective one and get his money back.

Correct

Hi, just checking in. Have you made any progress?

I will update you today alternator is coming out today

Great! Thanks for the update.

I’m a Mercedes Specialist by trade I’m not a fan of BMWs

Very nice, but you need to get that Rolls outta there :-)

Let me know how you make out with the alternator.

Marty

Ok will do

Thanks

Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician