BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

I own a 2000 BMW e39 540i Touring and have just completed…

Customer Question
Good evening, Mechanic's Assistant:...

Good evening,

Mechanic's Assistant: Hi. How can I help?

I own a 2000 BMW e39 540i Touring and have just completed the replacement of the timing chain guides, tensioners along with the primary Tensioner. Additionally, the main timing chain and secondary timing chains along with the secondary tensioners were replaced. The engine was reassembled and timed using the Master Vanos Timing Tool kit sold by German Auto Solutions. After timing, engine reassembly was completed, oil and coolant were added and the engine inspected in preparation for initial start up. The engine started with the expected rattles as oil pressure built up then died. I have checked and rechecked all electrical and pneumatic connections, however the engine refused to start. Thinking the engine in old school terms might be flooded, I disconnected the fuel line from the fuel manifold, collecting the fuel in a container and tried a start. The engine did fire and began to gain RPM until the fuel in the intake manifold was consumed the seized to run. I reconnected the fuel line but a gain no start. Would appreciate any guidance you might send my way.

Mechanic's Assistant: When did you last fill the tank? And do you smell gasoline around the engine?

The tank is about half full. Yes there is a bit of a gasoline smell.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 530i Touring yourself? What have you tried so far?

My e39 is a 2000 540I Touring and yes I have done all the work myself. I bought a 2001 540i Touring new and put 30k miles on the clock until I was broad sided and the car was totaled. I purchased this car in late Sumer and am basically restoring it. I have worked on the e39s since purchasing them.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I have replaced all the major engine cooling system, initiation system as well as the having rebuilt the suspension and brake system.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: BMW
12/7/2017
BMW Mechanic: Cesar Jimenez,
 replied 7 months ago
Cesar Jimenez

hi im cesar jimenez and i will be assisting you today. im reviewing your question now...

are there any codes?? have you checked for any loose grounds?? and have you checked timing??

Since the car never started I see no codes. I have checked all grounds. It seems like it is getting too much fuel
BMW Mechanic: Cesar Jimenez,
 replied 7 months ago

is crank sensor connected securely. after a while of cranking it. a code should come up

New term for me. Where would the crank sensor be located?
BMW Mechanic: Cesar Jimenez,
 replied 7 months ago

its on the bottom passenger side of the transmission. black plug 2 wires

BMW Mechanic: Cesar Jimenez,
 replied 7 months ago

hi just checking up on you. please rate me on my services thanks and happy holidays. any questions feel free to ask